Water Still Cloudy??? What Should I do NOW???

ewiz06

Reaction score
I had written in a previous post that I did a binge clean several weeks ago to my 46 gal tank, which resulted in a bacteria bloom. My water has been white/cloudy with tiny particles ever since. I have gotten some good advice from a local pet store and from this forum. However, it has been 5 1/2 weeks since I did this cleaning and my tank is still as cloudy as it was then, almost no improvement.

I have tested my water, PH-7.4, Ammonia-0, Nitrite-0, Nitrate (normal). I did do two 15-20% water changes on the advice of a pet store. I have not changed any of my media or cleaned my filters since my cleaning. I added stress zyme about 2 1/2 weeks ago (no help). I have done nothing else to my tank.

How long will it be until my water clears up? I've been told that it could take between 5-6 weeks. It has been that long and I'm starting to get concerned. I have 6 fish in the aquarium and they are all doing fine.

Should I do a massive water change (60-70%), buy a new filter (spouse thinks this is the problem although the Penguin biowheels are spinning just fine), or just wait? If I wait, then how long? I'm at a loss and completely frustrated with my unsightly tank.

I need some advice fast!!!!! ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

kerryve

Valued Member
Reaction score
Youre filter might not be running to its full capacity, what size filter do you have in your tank? also, does the water smell funny, the cloudiness could be because you might be feeding your fish more than what they can eat in other words its too much if they havent consumed all of it within 5 minutes, thats the simplest explanation. but see how old your filter is. I have to have 3 submergable filters in my tank just to keep the water looking clean, its a 300g tank, and ive got no fish in it because im cycling it. but i firmly suggest a new filter if you arent over feeding your fish.

ewiz06

Reaction score
I have a Penguin 330 (2 biowheels) that is supposed to be for tanks up to 60 gallons. It is possible that my fish may be slightly overfed, but not likely since I try to observe their eating habits closely. When I had an overfeeding problme a year ago the water didn't have the millions of visible little particles like it does now. The water is a hazy, whitish gray color, not the typical murky green from overfeeding.

My filter is 2 years old and appears to be running properly. It has 2 filter bags that have gathered quite a bit of bacteria. It also has 2 trays for charcoal media. I don't mind buying and replacing this filter, but I don't want to spend $30-50 if the filter is not the problem.

Any advice from anyone???? ??? ???

kerryve

Valued Member
Reaction score
maybe consider not feeding your fish for a day or two just to make sure, but if thats not the problem im not sure. Do you have any live plants in the aquarium? you might have a plant that is dying and or loosing some of its leaves that would cause the particles in the water. if its nothing obvious it must be your filter.

ewiz06

Reaction score
No live plants in the aquarium. Other members have thought my problem was a bacteria bloom. Not sure since it has been almost 6 weeks with little change, although I may have set things back slightly if my aquarium was going through a cycling period by doing the 2 small water changes. I can get a new filter but I want to be sure this will solve my problems.

Still confused since members such as Gunnie strongly feel my problem is a bacteria bloom. I just want my tank to be clear again :'( :'(

Thoughts? ???

Richard

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Not sure how effective this treatment might be,but Jungle has among it's product-line Water Clear Tank-Buddies which're supposed to clear cloudy water and remove odors caused by decaying matter,as well as neutralize any iron in your tap water caused by the pipes running the water supply to your home..there are other members who've used other Jungle products like Fungus Clear and Ick Clear,so maybe someone can weigh in with their experience using this treatment.

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I would wait before adding any of those chemicals. It might be something as simple as the water conditioner you are using. Are you still adding stress-zyme? Try using a basic water conditioner that only treats chlorine, chloramines, and heavy metals like the start right made by Jungle. Some of those conditioners have aloe and other additives for their slime coat. Try just a basic conditioner and see if that does anything, and stop the stress zyme if you haven't already. Let us know if this makes any difference.

ewiz06

Reaction score
Ok.  Here's the latest.  I did purchase and set up a new Whisperer filter/pump yesterday.  I let it run for almost 24 hours with no change in my water condition.  Fortunately, I kept my original Penguin 330 filter, along with all of the media, filters, biowheels, etc that were in my aquarium.  I have reset up my original filter.  So obviously the filter/pump is not the problem.

My current water readings today are as follows:

Ph        -  7.4
Amonia  -  0
Nitrite    -  0
Nitrate   - 40 (normal)

My fish do not appear to be in any distress at all, i.e. lethargic, swimming at top of aquarium only, etc.  I have not purchased and added the Start Right yet, but am willing to do that tomorrow.  I will not add any Stress zyme to my tank.   

My question is should I just do a major water change (60-70%) tonight, but not vacuum/clean the gravel so as not to disturb the existing bacteria.  Would a major water change harm my fish?  Should I just try the Start Right and wait and see?

Not sure how to handle this situation.  Thursday it will have been 6 weeks since I did the major clean that seemed to have caused my problem.  I'm at a total loss now.  I could use some good advice now!! :'( :'(

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Go ahead and do your water change without cleaning the gravel. Your nitrates are high and need to be reduced to below 20. When they get to 20, do another water change. You only have to use the start right if you do a water change. No need to add it to the water unless you conditioning new water for the tank.

ewiz06

Reaction score
Should I do the 60-70% water change? If not, how much of a change should I do? Will a big water change like this harm my fish? ??? ??? Are there any precautions I should take to make sure my fish will be ok?

Thanks Gunnie and all others who have lent their advice.

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Just make sure the new water is within 1 degree of the temp of the tank to avoid shocking the fish. It shouldn't harm the fish unless the new water is a lot different that the old water (as in, it is a lot hotter or colder).

ewiz06

Reaction score
Good news. I did a 65-70% water change this morning. As a result my water is much more clear now. I still have a lot of the particles in the water from the bacteria bloom, but the water clarity is much, much improved. Hopefully it will be cyrstal clear in a week or so. It appears that my tank may now be close to being totally cycled. With the exception of my Nitrates, which are between 30-40, all of my water tests are normal (Amonia-0, Nitrite-0, Ph-7.3

Many thanks to Gunnie , Omorrokh and everyone else who has lent advice during my ordeal. I willl make every effort to avoid this problem in the future. ;D ;D

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Your tank just finished cycling? Cloudy water is normal during cycling. It should go away on its own now that the tank is cycled.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom