water stats

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by Kelley, Apr 7, 2006.

1. KelleyNew MemberMember

Hello all,

these are my current water readings as of tonight.
    ammonia .025
    nitrate 0
    nitrite 0
    and my pH is 7.6
    my tank is a 55 gal f/w with 3 tiger barbs. when would be a good time to add fish?
    this was my first water test, the tanks has been running for about 6 weeks.
    thanks again

2. GunnieWell Known MemberMember

Welcome to FishLore!  It's great having you with us!  Your tank is cycling very slowly because you only have the 3 tiger barbs in that big tank.  Fishless cycling is the most recommended way to go with cycling a tank, but since you already have tiger barbs in the tank, it's too late for that.  I hesitate to tell you to add 3 more tiger barbs to the tank but that is the only way you will be able to make the cycle move faster.  They are very hardy fish but cycling is hard on any fish.  Tiger barbs just don't die from it as easily.  If you can stand to wait, I'd say don't add any more fish to the tank until your ammonia and nitrite levels are at zero, and your nitrate is above zero.  You are just starting to show ammonia now, and you haven't even begun to get nitrtes.  You may not have your tank cycled for at least another 6 weeks.  If you wanted to add a full bio load of fish now, you could use bio spira, but then you would not have the experience of going through the cycling process which helps you in the long run to be a better fishkeeper. There are also other products like Stability which are not "instant" cycles like bio spira, but they accelerate the process. ;)

3. KelleyNew MemberMember

Thanks Gunnie.

I want the tank to cycle with out the use of chemicals to get it going.

4. KelleyNew MemberMember

I think my tank cycled over the weekend and I missed it todays reading as of 7 :55 pm
    ammonia 0
    nitrite 0
    my nitrate 160 (water change needed cant believe it bloomed that quick in 3 days must have messed up on the test Friday)
    and my pH is 7.6
    and the water is 73 deg no heater (should I add one?)

Any suggestions would help thanks a ton

5. ToddnbeckaValued MemberMember

You should add a heater, unless you are going to keep goldfish. Most tropicals prefer ~76, and the lower temp has probably slowed down the cycle. What kind of filtration?

6. chickadeeFishlore VIPMember

Yes you need a heater for sure Tropicals will need a minimum of 76 degrees and will like 78 better. Also those Nitrates are dangerous! I am not sure one water change is going to do it. You may need something like Amquel + if they do not come down below 20 and soon. They are toxic, just not as much as the nitrites, to your fish too.

You can do water changes, but I hate to see you doing a bunch of massive water changes so soon after your cycle as it could put your bacteria back and you would have to do another mini-cycle.

Hope this helps some.

Welcome to Fishlore.com. I do not believe I have had the pleasure of posting to you as yet. It is always nice to have a new member. I hope you will enjoy this forum as much as I do.

Rose
    :)

7. KelleyNew MemberMember

Thanks Chickadee

I will test again tonight after doing a 50% last night. I should have done a done a water change over the weekend before it nitrates got so high. But the test I did on Friday said I didn't need to.

And as for the water changes I don't mind. I bought a Python system so not real hard to change the water (better then 11 trips to the flowerbed). I will let you know the readings tonight after the testing. Hope my fish hold on I feel like I'm close.

Thanks again for all the help everyone (giving high five to all)

8. GunnieWell Known MemberMember

If you have to do frequent water changes to get those nitrates down, try not to disturb your gravel and just siphon out water. This should help with the bacteria issue. Love those pythons! ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice