water sprite for cover

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by atmmachine816, Apr 8, 2006.

1. atmmachine816Fishlore VIPMember

Hey since I have a mesh cover for my 10 gallon tank right now if I were to put water sprite as a floating plant do you think I can remove this mesh cover? Also I have read that snails love to eat this plant is this true?

Thanks

Austin

2. IsabellaFishlore VIPMember

I presume, you keep the mesh to prevent the fish from jumping out, correct? I have read that plants may be a good cover as well. So perhaps a water sprite plant cover could be effective too. But if you have some really excited fish that jump out all the time (lol), I'd keep a closed hood over the tank at all times. There may always be openings in a floating plant cover.

As for the snails, no idea if they like to eat a water sprite plant.

3. atmmachine816Fishlore VIPMember

Yup that's correct though all that's in there right now are guppies. I will get a real cover once I get the money but right now I don't have enough since they aren't cheap and I might get one with powerful lights for plants.

Austin

4. IsabellaFishlore VIPMember

Then just keep the mesh on, just to make sure your fishies are safe. Couldn't you keep the mesh on together with the plants floating for now?

5. atmmachine816Fishlore VIPMember

Ya but sometimes I accidently move the heater knob and screw the heat up since it rests right on top of it, that's why I'm working on getting another heater.

O and yes I will keep it on until I get a lid but I just have to be REALLY careful. When I first put it on I didn't realize it but I moved the knob when I took the cover off and the temperature droped from 76 to 70 overnight. I will just be really carful.

6. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

What kind of light do you have on this tank. Water sprite will need light and the mesh cover may shade it too much.
    Carol

7. atmmachine816Fishlore VIPMember

I have a 15w incidescent bulb temporily, I plan on getting a glass canopy and a 15w fluescent bulb soon

8. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

I'm afraid the water sprite won't grow well under an incandescent light.They tend to be a little too warm for floating plants. Sorry
    Carol

9. atmmachine816Fishlore VIPMember

O well I'll just wait untili I get the light, if you didn't see as soon as I find homes for the guppies I can't house I'm trying to change the tank to planted.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice