Water Softener?

1. SFGiantsGuy

SFGiantsGuy Well Known Member Member

So...the H2O here in Colorado's notoriously VERY hard; did a GH test and it took about 12 drops with the liquid test kit! (ph almost 8.0!) Although all my plants do well, (injected CO2, Thrive, Easy Green, Flourish line, Flourish root tabs, API root tabs, some EI dosing every once in a while etc.) But I sense that.........they could be doing drastically better. Possibly with the addition of a softer water. IMO, they're doing ehhhh maybe about an 7-8.5 on a scale of 1-10, but I honestly belive they potentially could be doing a 10+, as I have very good lighting, ferts and I know what I'm doing. Was thinking of trying a lil experiment out with some peat or water softener "pillows". Any thoughts everyone? Thank you thank you thank yous in advance.

2. OneLittleBubble

OneLittleBubble Well Known Member Member

3. Aqua Hands

Aqua Hands Well Known Member Member

API Ph Down is very bad in my opinion. I would find something else if you could, or invest in a RODI machine and just mix your whater and the rodi water.

4. Mick Frost

Mick Frost Valued Member Member

Peat in an air-drive filter box has been a popular method for over 50 years. Water softener pillows (zeolite) work by ion exchange, so you have to recharge/replace regularly. A micron filter (even a Brita) will decrease GH a fair bit, and the filters for Ice Makers can be plumbed into a Python or ATO. Avoid PHDown.
    Edit: PH is best controlled with Driftwood or IAL.

5. OP
    OP
    SFGiantsGuy

Ehhh maybe some more driftwood? I just picked up a new clown pleco, and already have a medium sized piece for him to graze upon...yeah maybe driftwood to soften the water up perhaps...?

6. OP
    OP
    SFGiantsGuy

I'll try some more driftwood was gonna be my first choice anyway...ehh RO H2O systems are kinda pricey...although Sam's Club may have a decent and decently priced machine...thank you gentlemen.

7. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

If you get an RO/DI unit get a proper one that is designed for aquarium use.
    The ones for sinks in the kitchen will not produce the amount of water you will need for water changes.

This is the base system I use. It has a pressure meter and a TDS readout.
    5 Stage 75GPD Plus RO/DI System - Bulk Reef Supply

8. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

Driftwood doesn't do much in hard water. Plants actually need the minerals (magnesium, calcium) in harder water, and many people with hard water have beautiful planted tanks. Are you absolutely sure it's the hard water that's causing it?