Water snake or eel (what to feed)

dhelhalton

my son bought a pet which looks like a water snake. not sure what it is called. apparently we don't know what to feed it and how to properly take care of it. I hope you can help us with the proper care of it as we reaaly would want to keep it. tia

coralbandit

Welcome .See if you can load a picture of it .
I am sure someone here will know what you got and to care for it properly .

dhelhalton

dhelhalton said:
my son bought a pet which looks like a water snake. not sure what it is called. apparently we don't know what to feed it and how to properly take care of it. I hope you can help us with the proper care of it as we reaaly would want to keep it. tia
here is a picture of it...

coralbandit

Wow that really does look like a "sea snake ".
Where did you get it ?
I would be very careful ,some 'sea snakes' are venomous .

Corydork

Looks cool. I have no knowledge on care for it, but you can probably feed it some thawed and chopped shrimp. I know it may be obvious, but I have to ask, freshwater or saltwater?

dhelhalton

it is fresh water.. tried feeding it with the usual fish food but doesn't seem to get its appetite.. I don't think small fish will fit in its mouth.. its so small. I bought it in a marketplace on the other town. it hasn't eaten yet for 6 days.

kallililly1973

It almost seems moccasin snake like. I would definitely get an ID on it and in the meantime be sure you have a tightly sealed lid

dhelhalton

i've been searching online of what specific breed it is and how to take care of it. here in the philippines i've been seeing pet shops who are selling it. apparently they only call it water snake. I know there is a specific name for ir for there are a lot of water snake species. will try to check more info foe its food and proper care. I will appreciate if anyone from here would really help. tnx!!!

the guy with whom I bough it from just hold it with his bare hands.. and I did too.. it seems like its docile but moves fast.

Jennalovesanimals

dhelhalton said:
the guy with whom I bough it from just hold it with his bare hands.. and I did too.. it seems like its docile but moves fast.
Did you figure out what it is and what it eats?

dhelhalton

it feeds on kataba and it looks like a philippine water snake.

Jennalovesanimals

dhelhalton said:
it feeds on kataba and it looks like a philippine water snake.
Interesting! Is it fun to keep as a pet?

MoshJosh

Shaw’s sea snake maybe? That’s my guess from a few minute google search

beaked/hooked-nose sea snake???

more pictures please

EDIT: maybe this Acrochordus granulatus - Wikipedia

chromedome52

What do you mean by kataba? I enter that into Google and all I get is a type of Japanese saw.

Corydork

chromedome52 said:
What do you mean by kataba? I enter that into Google and all I get is a type of Japanese saw.
I think they’re called „na po ulit kataba“ which looks like some kind of feeder fish. All images I find are pretty blurred, though.

dhelhalton

Jennalovesanimals said:
Interesting! Is it fun to keep as a pet?
yes!! my son plays with it. I will show you a picture later on.

Jennalovesanimals

dhelhalton said:
yes!! my son plays with it. I will show you a picture later on.
Awesome! How long does it stay out of water?

Pariah

From what I can see, it might be a banded elephant trunk snake (Acrochordus sp.). If so, they are harmless. Generally docile, but being an aquatic species, it shouldn't be handled much because they are fragile outside of the water. If that is what it is, shoot for mid 80s water temps and they will eat feeder fish and frogs. Most snake species can dislocate their jaws and are more than capable of swallowing prey much bigger around than they are. It's very impressive to watch. It also helps if they are provided plenty of places to hide so they feel secure. I wouldn't worry about it not eating right away. Focus on providing a proper environment and allow it to settle down before feeding or interacting with it. Snakes can go very long periods without food and suffer no lasting harm. If everything else checks out and it isn't losing excessive weight, do not panic. Although a much different species, we used to breed ball pythons (among others) and hunger strikes lasting months were common, with one adult female going off feed for over a year and a half (she lost less than 10% body weight and one day decided to eat again and never skipped a meal after that). That is, obviously, an extreme example, but a month or two for most species isn't anything to fret about.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Latest threads

Top Bottom