Water salamanders?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alee C.

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hey there is a pond near my house with water salamanders, are water salamanders compatible with tropical fish, and ACFs?
Also what is some info I would need to know about them,(food, water temp, maintenance, aquarium set-up, compatibility)
Thanx everyone

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I wouldn't think so.
Being you live in Nova Scotia, you're not considered tropical so neither would the salamanders.
It's often illegal to keep certain wild species, you'll want to check on that.

See what other have to say since I'm not positive.

OP
Alee C.

Alee C.

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I wouldn't think so.
Being you live in Nova Scotia, you're not considered tropical so neither would the salamanders.
It's often illegal to keep certain wild species, you'll want to check on that.

See what other have to say since I'm not positive.
You know what I did research on it and they may be Newts.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You will need to find out the legal issues involved before you go trying to catch or keep anything from the wild.

Water Salamander (Axelotl) are a cold water species so they won't be compatible with tropical species. They are also predators that get to about 8" in length & will happily scoff down fish almost half thier own size. They can be kept in a large enough aquarium with Goldfish but that's about it.They are really best kept in a single species tank. The tank should be no deeper than 15" as the Axelotl likes to be able to get to the surface for extra oxygen.

I think it would probably be best to just leave them where they are. Axelotls can be readily bought at most pet & aquarium stores. Best to obtain a few by buying them if you want them.

TedsTank

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
More than likely actually newts....most slamanders only hit the water to breed. Newts are usually in cold water areas....streams and mountain stream fed ponds....and they do on occasion like to get out of the water. I would not recommend local water fish and creatures for a tropical tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 24 24.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 9.0%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 67 67.0%

Top Bottom