Water Resistant?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by MaeKay, Apr 9, 2017.

1. MaeKayValued MemberMember

Is this tiny LED light water resistant? I picked up a cheap 5 gal that I'm hoping to turn into a RCS tank. I'll be using an XY 2831 sponge filter (and possibly an Aqueon 10 HOB with pre-filter sponge). All I'm hoping to grow in the tank is java moss most likely.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I prefer to use lids with my tanks but none of the 5 or 5.5 gallon tanks have lids with lights.

I supposed I could buy this lid but it sort of defeats the purpose of setting up this tank on the super cheap.
    All Glass Aquarium AAG20007 Inc Economy Hood, 16-Inch

Thoughts?

2. TwoHedWlfWell Known MemberMember

Looks like it, but maybe not waterproof. It should at least be splash proof

3. MaeKayValued MemberMember

That was my hope, splash proof, hence water resistant, not proof. I don't intend to dunk the lid in water but I know there will be condensation.

It's very dry where I live so there can be a lot of evaporation and I prefer lids to minimize energy consumption from the heater.

4. FanaticFishlore VIPMember

I have a tank with that hood on it, and the condensation builds up along the lid.

It doesn't have problems, so it should be fine.

5. MaeKayValued MemberMember

Thanks! Do you think it's sufficient for growing java moss? Will it illuminate the shrimp decently?

Could you post a picture of your setup?

6. FanaticFishlore VIPMember

It's good enough to grow the moss, but you can always give a little sunlight.

It will illuminate the tank nicely, and give the shrimp a nice look.

My tank has two different LEDs, one blue, and white. It's a GloFish set up.

Attached Files:

7. Bruxes and BubblesWell Known MemberMember

I have LEDs very similar to that; my lid fell into the water once and is still kicking six months later. It should be fine with just condensation.

8. FanaticFishlore VIPMember

Oh yeah!

9. MaeKayValued MemberMember

Thanks!

10. FanaticFishlore VIPMember

No problems! Good luck with the tank!

11. MaeKayValued MemberMember

Thanks! I've had some red cherry shrimp for a few months so I want to set up that 10 gallon properly and see if I can get them to start a colony (just got the java moss and need to remove the fish...). Then once we're successful with those we want to order the blue dream shrimp and put them in the 5 gal.