Water Resistant?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by MaeKay, Apr 9, 2017.

1. M

MaeKay Valued Member Member

Is this tiny LED light water resistant? I picked up a cheap 5 gal that I'm hoping to turn into a RCS tank. I'll be using an XY 2831 sponge filter (and possibly an Aqueon 10 HOB with pre-filter sponge). All I'm hoping to grow in the tank is java moss most likely.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I prefer to use lids with my tanks but none of the 5 or 5.5 gallon tanks have lids with lights.

I supposed I could buy this lid but it sort of defeats the purpose of setting up this tank on the super cheap.
    All Glass Aquarium AAG20007 Inc Economy Hood, 16-Inch Amazon.com : All Glass Aquarium AAG20007 Inc Economy Hood, 16-Inch : Pet Supplies

Thoughts?

2. TwoHedWlf

TwoHedWlf Well Known Member Member

Looks like it, but maybe not waterproof. It should at least be splash proof

3. OP
    OP
    M

That was my hope, splash proof, hence water resistant, not proof. I don't intend to dunk the lid in water but I know there will be condensation.

It's very dry where I live so there can be a lot of evaporation and I prefer lids to minimize energy consumption from the heater.

4. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

I have a tank with that hood on it, and the condensation builds up along the lid.

It doesn't have problems, so it should be fine.

5. OP
    OP
    M

Thanks! Do you think it's sufficient for growing java moss? Will it illuminate the shrimp decently?

Could you post a picture of your setup?

6. Fanatic

It's good enough to grow the moss, but you can always give a little sunlight.

It will illuminate the tank nicely, and give the shrimp a nice look.

My tank has two different LEDs, one blue, and white. It's a GloFish set up.

Attached Files:

7. B

Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

I have LEDs very similar to that; my lid fell into the water once and is still kicking six months later. It should be fine with just condensation.

8. Fanatic

Oh yeah!

9. OP
    OP
    M

Thanks!

10. Fanatic

No problems! Good luck with the tank!

11. OP
    OP
    M

Thanks! I've had some red cherry shrimp for a few months so I want to set up that 10 gallon properly and see if I can get them to start a colony (just got the java moss and need to remove the fish...). Then once we're successful with those we want to order the blue dream shrimp and put them in the 5 gal.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice