Water Readings

Discussion in 'Aquarium Water' started by Randy Mcclaren, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Randy Mcclaren

Randy McclarenNew MemberMember

I use prime in my tank and Everytime I test ammonia starts good the goes off the charts nitrites are 0 nitrates are 0 and pH is 7.0 my fish all seem to be happy and healthy. Always hungry as when I walk by the tank they all come to the feeding spot. I was told the ammonia test does that as I have the API kit but should I be concerned with 0 nitrates

2. Summer22

Summer22Valued MemberMember

The liquid test kits (I have API as well) are accurate. Looks like this is a new tank setup. Do you know the nitrogen cycle? This will explain all the testing and what your looking for. Tanks all cycle different but on average it takes about 1 month. More people will come help too. The ammonia being high could stress and kill your fish if they aren't super hardy.

3. OP
    OP
    Randy Mcclaren

4. el337

el337Fishlore LegendMember

Can you tell us some more info - tank size, stock? What's the current ammonia level in the tank? Also, pls test everything out of your water source.

5. OP
    OP
    Randy Mcclaren

Tap water test good it's a 60 gallon community tank angels, gouramis, pictus cats, Cory cats Denison barbs, Bala sharks black ghost knife. I have to emporer 400 filters, three bubble stones and various artificial plants and an artificial log do weekly 50% water changes and add prime everytime

6. Summer22

Summer22Valued MemberMember

what was your ammonia reading? If I'm correct I think Prime neutralizes 1 ppm for 24 hours?

7. el337

Can you give us the numbers of each species? Also the current ammonia reading please. How long has the tank been set up?

With a stock like that, I would think you'd have some nitrates. Are you replacing the media at all or rinsing it in tap water?

8. OP
    OP
    Randy Mcclaren

Not exactly sure it's stats yellow at zero and on a few mins dark green to the point I would think it would kill fish pretty fast

9. el337

You're testing with the API liquid test kit? You are supposed to wait 5 minutes after adding both solutions and then compare to the color chart.

10. OP
    OP
    Randy Mcclaren

Been two months up and have 4 gouramis, 4 Cory's, 2 pictus, 2 bards, 1 Bala, 1 knife, 2 plectos,11 angels I now it may be a little overstocked but waiting for angels to pair to put in another tank that's why I have those two filter setups and bubblers when I back gravel waste doesn't look excessive coming out of the gravel and filter I changed twice I have fuval biomax installed in the 4 gray plastic inserts that go in the folder housing to help the bio from going away with filter changes

11. OP
    OP
    Randy Mcclaren

Yes but seachem said to read the test right away when prime is in the tank but if I wait the five min it's 8 or more

12. el337

You definitely are overstocked. Not only that but you do have some stocking issues if you'd like to discuss.

The ammonia issue is likely arising from changing your filter media. You never ever want to do that as you're throwing away your beneficial bacteria every single time, thus throwing away your cycle. Just rinse your media in removed tank water during weekly water changes.

I don't recall Seachem Prime indicating those directions when testing. Either way, you are reading the tests incorrectly. If you are waiting the five min, then your ammonia is at least at 8ppm though I don't know how your fish are even surviving at that level of ammonia. Can you re-test but this time, follow the directions given in the API test instructions? And you don't have any ammonia in your tap water?

13. OP
    OP
    Randy Mcclaren

Sure what would u like to discuss

14. OP
    OP
    Randy Mcclaren

Sure we can discuss and and no ammonia it tap water I do keep the biomax in the housing don't remove it just the actual filter and yes I don't know how they haven't died yet either and here is a FAQ from seachem I even emailed them

seachem 3168fe838e02b2f836aff3f1ae201b11.jpgee3758623125126fae687ba7b76bba57.jpg

15. el337

The API master kit will test for all ammonia. Further Prime will not remove ammonia, it will detoxify it for up to 1ppm for 24-48 hours but will still be detected by your test kit.

What kind of gouramis and corys do you have? Is this a 48" long tank?

Even if you pair up the angels, how many were you planning on keeping in this tank? I don't think I'd have more than two in this tank size especially if you have the larger gourami species. The denison barbs, pictus cats, bala sharks, corys all need at least 6 of its own species. The barbs are not temp compatible with the angelfish and depending on the cory species, they may not be temp compatible either. What kind of plecos do you have? I'm not sure that with everything else you have, that the BGK may be appropriate for this tank size either.

Edit: And if you're not replacing the biomax, what exactly are you replacing? You shouldn't need to replace anything in your filter unless it was falling apart. Can you re-test your ammonia to see where it is currently? I would do some large back to back water changes of at least 50% dosed with Prime until it goes down close to 0.

16. OP
    OP
    Randy Mcclaren

Well they are all doing good the water parameters are off that is what I'm worried about all my fish do have been together for 2 months and don't fight or bother each other

17. el337

I'm assuming they are still young but as they mature and establish territories, you will see issues.

I edited my last post. Also, your ammonia levels are also affected by your stock. If you never had a 0 ammonia reading in this tank, you likely never cycled properly and/or added too many fish too soon.

18. OP
    OP
    Randy Mcclaren

I'm thinking never got cycled right

19. el337

For now, test your ammonia again. If it really is showing at least 8ppm, you'll want to start with some major water changes to get that ammonia down and then pick up a bottle of Seachem Stability to cycle your tank. I'd then re-think the current stock you have.

20. OP
    OP
    Randy Mcclaren

I'm in process now of a 75%water change will measure again in 30 min when done then probably another 75%tomorrow will post test results in a little bit

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice