Water Readings Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by mistycheri, Apr 2, 2006.

1. mistycheriValued MemberMember

I have a 10 gal. tank with about 8 fish. I think the tank has cycled, I've had it set up for about 8 weeks now. I was wondering what is a good nitrate level reading. I have salt added to the tank for the mollies and guppies. The book that came with the master test kit said that a reading of 40 ppm or less is recommended for freshwater aquariums. Here are my readings as of 10:30 this morning.

PH - High 7.4
    Ammonia 0 ppm
    Nitrite 0 ppm
    Nitrate 20 ppm

2. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Do you have live plants? If so they will use the Nitrates, but I wouldn't advise any higher than that.
    Keep a watch on the ammonia though, eight fish is right at being over stocked for a ten gallon.
    some people use salt for Mollies but don't think its recommended for guppies.
    Carol

3. GunnieWell Known MemberMember

Your readings right now are perfect, but like Butterfly said, don't let the nitrates go any higher. We like the nitrates to stay at 20 or below. ;)

4. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

Your readings are fine, as everyone else said don't let the nitrates get higher than 20. What kinds of fish do you have?

5. mistycheriValued MemberMember

I have 2 live plants in my aquarium that I bought out of the aquarium at the petstore. I don't know what kind it is, but it has small round leaves on it, and it's a light green color, very pretty.

I have 3 panda cory's, 2 guppies, 2 mollies, one platy fry.

6. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

Take out the salt!!!!!!!!!!! It may be fine for the livebearers, but salt can kill catfish. Do some large water changes and replace the water with saltless water. And that would be great if you could get your nitrate readings even lwer, since Panda Cories are pretty sensitive.

7. mistycheriValued MemberMember

Will the livebearers be able to live without the salt? The cory's are the only original fish I have from when I first set up the tank. They're pretty hardy, but I'll take out the salt anyway.

8. vinWell Known MemberMember

This is nothing more than a rumor.....I've read in multiple places that the salt thing is a rumor...In fact, catfish come from salty, brackish water by nature....Now that doesn't mean I'd go overboard on the salt, but it will not kill them.......The difference here is that most fish stores do not add salt to their tanks as their stock is ever changing and rotating PLUS most livebearers are bred in captivity in tanks with no salt.

9. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

Well, I don't know about that vin, I've always heard that catfish are sensitive to salt. Sure there are some brackish Cats, but not most of them. Anyway I wouldn't risk having salt since Pandas are some of the most delicate of the Cories. And yes, the livebearers will be perfectly fine without salt.

10. mistycheriValued MemberMember

Ok, I did another water change, no salt this time. I was only putting in about one teaspoon for the whole tank, but not with every water change. If I don't need it, I'd rather not use it anyway.

Now another question:
    Will the nipped fins of fish grow back?

11. GunnieWell Known MemberMember

Hopefully the fins will grow back with no problem. Just watch the fins for fungus. I explained this in your other thread. ;)

12. mistycheriValued MemberMember

Thanks Gunnie

13. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

Who did it? If one of your fish is a fin nipper, I wouldn't leave him in there...

14. vinWell Known MemberMember

You've heard it, but have you read it? Trust me....Catfish (even corys) can tollerate some salt. I've read it in several publications.

15. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

Well maybe tolerate it but that doesn't mean they like it...and yes I've read it vin, but no sense arguing over it any more. ::) I just say don't add anything to the water you don't have to. ;)
    (wow I even get into arguments online... :p ::) ;D ;))

16. vinWell Known MemberMember

No, no sense in arguing.

17. newbie101Well Known MemberMember

haha maybe I'll add some for my pleco then

18. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

I think plecos are some of the most hardy of the catfish, they can be kept in ponds and stuff, so it would take a lot of salt to kill one...
    ;) I know you're just kidding ;)
    I still think you should just take him back to the store...

19. mistycheriValued MemberMember

My beta did the nipping, I have her confined right now until I can get another tank to put her in.

I did another water change last night, (had been medicating for the nipped fins) Did another water reading, afterwards, and the readings were perfect

PH : 7.2
    Ammonia : 0
    Nitrite : 0
    Nitrate : 20

I think my tank has finally cycled!!!

20. vinWell Known MemberMember

Great!! Now, just be sure to keep up with the water changes to keep those nitrates in check.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice