Water Readings. Cycled?

Kiks

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'd say no, your tank isn't cycled cause you don't have any nitrates. In a cycled tank you'll have no ammonia, no nitrite, but nitrates. Unless your tank is very heavily planted.

OP
D

Damiano

Reaction score
This is nuts. I’m 7 weeks in

Kiks

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Have you done any water changes?
What's your source of ammonia?

Do0kski

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Doesn't look like it. Ideally, you want the nitrates darker. Greater than 5ppm. Youll notice the ammonia go up, then go down as the nitrites go up, then nitrites go down as the nitrates go up and stay up. If your seven weeks in then take a big glob of fish food and throw it in. it'll make the water look nasty but it's the ammonia your needing. Or you can go out to Lowes or something and buy ammonia... 100% ammonia.

OP
D

Damiano

Reaction score
Yes I have fish in the Tank. Wasn’t aware of cycling when I set it up. Do weekly water changes Ammonia never went above 1ppm I put a cartridge from a cycled tank in the filter (Aquaclear 70) for 4 days. Now not reading any Ammonia nitrite or nitrate

Also added TSS a week ago

Kiks

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
What size tank is it and what fish do you have in it?
How much water are you changing weekly?

Adding the cartridge from an already cycled tank should help, but I doubt it has done any difference when you've only had it in there for four days.

Do0kski

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Re test the water.

Make sure your shaking nitrate second bottle for 30 seconds and shaking the tube for a minute

Nierums

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
That's interesting, you have an ammonia source and it seems to be converting. I'm sorry, that is far as my knowledge really goes. it does take a few weeks for the old media to push along your new filter media. Good luck, and I'll be interested to see what everyone comes up with!

OP
D

Damiano

Reaction score
Is it possible I’m filtering too much water? Not giving the bacteria a chance to form? I shake the Nitrate bottle heavily.

Nierums

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Damiano said:
Is it possible I’m filtering too much water? Not giving the bacteria a chance to form? I shake the Nitrate bottle heavily.
What filter and media are you using? I don't think that would be it unless you are using a massive filter for a 29 gallon (again, I'm new to this too) but based on my limited experience, I have a 20 gallon tank with a filter that is is rated for up to 70 gallons, which I know the ratings are kind of pointless but I'm just using the example. Again, I could be wrong, just my thought.

OP
D

Damiano

Reaction score
I’m using an aquaclear 70 2 bio bags and a sponge running it at max filtration

Do0kski

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Damiano said:
No, I have an oversized filter on my tank. The more water flows the better. I'm assuming the bacteria that was on the sponge died. It'll start dying after like 20 minutes of water not running through it. Some times I have to do a test 2 times, something happens to make it faulty. Worth a try. Add quick start to it too. Put it right on the sponge. it is odd, but sometimes tanks can take its sweet time cycling.

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
What is your PH reading? Did you have a nitrite spike at one time? I am seeing some nitrates, no ammonia and no nitrites. That is telling me that yes, this tank is cycled.

Do you always add a water conditioner to the water before pouring it in the tank?

Do0kski said:
No, I have an oversized filter on my tank. The more water flows the better. I'm assuming the bacteria that was on the sponge died. It'll start dying after like 20 minutes of water not running through it. Some times I have to do a test 2 times, something happens to make it faulty. Worth a try. Add quick start to it too. Put it right on the sponge. it is odd, but sometimes tanks can take its sweet time cycling.
The bacteria on the filter media is tougher than that. As long as the media is kept wet the bacteria won't die. It doesn't have to have water running through it. A lot of us would have dead cycles if in fact the bacteria died off when the filter was turned off during mantainence.

Do0kski

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
mattgirl said:
The bacteria on the filter media is tougher than that. As long as the media is kept wet the bacteria won't die. It doesn't have to have water running through it. A lot of us would have dead cycles if in fact the bacteria died off when the filter was turned off during mantainence.
I said starts to die. Not completely.

OP
D

Damiano

Reaction score
mattgirl said:
What is your PH reading? Did you have a nitrite spike at one time? I am seeing some nitrates, no ammonia and no nitrites. That is telling me that yes, this tank is cycled.

Do you always add a water conditioner to the water before pouring it in the tank?

My PH is 7 and yes I add water conditioner with ever water change. I have never read any Nitrites. I see my Nitrate reading as slightly above zero but below 5

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
Damiano said:
My PH is 7 and yes I add water conditioner with ever water change. I have never read any Nitrites. I see my Nitrate reading as slightly above zero but below 5
PH is good. When it drops down to 6.5 or so the cycling process slows down.

Have you had fish in this tank ever since you set it up? Can you tell me the steps you have taken to cycle this tank? I know you said you added TSS a few days ago and you also added some seeded media. Can you give me an approximate time line.

The more I know the better I can help you.

OP
D

Damiano

Reaction score
I set up the Tank March 7th. The reason it began is I tried adding fish to my turtle tank and he was trying to eat them so I went out a bought a 29 gallon kit from Petco. Hence fish in Cycle. I changed the filter after a couple of days to the Aquaclear 70 also bought a new heater, glass canopy and Led lights(So much for the kit) Bought the apI test kit. Kept testing the water daily. Highest reading of Ammonia I ever had was 1ppm kept doing weekly water changes and Ammonia pretty much sat at .25 Seen it spike one more time to 1ppm and did a 50% water change and added TSS. Cleaned the gravel twice

Have also had brown/green algae already form

New Threads