Water Readings and Possible Concerns

Tumbleweed

Well Known Member
Reaction score
After I put the prime in the water how long should I wait to test it to see if it had any effect? An immediate test shows no change.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
In my opinion, an ammonia level of 20 ppm is VERY toxic. I say this because ammonia is generally considered dangerous even in very small amounts, so 20 ppm of ammonia has to be very dangerous. As for Prime, I've never used it, so you may want to ask that question someone who has experience with it. The reason I recommended this product is because others (who are much more experienced and knowledgeable than I am) have told me it's very good. I learned about it on plant geek when I was looking for the right dechlorinator for my planted tank. They told me to use it. And by the way, I've learned it not only removes chlorine and chloramine, but also ammonia. You may want to ask about Prime on plant geek - I am sure someone will know about it there. But as with most of the testing, I think it would be best for you to wait 24 hours (after you've added Prime to your water) to test the water for ammonia. But as I have said before, you may ask this on plant geek to be 100% sure. Good luck.

Tumbleweed

Well Known Member
Reaction score
OK I just retested the water in my tank and found:

Ph 7.4
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 40ppm

I guess that it must be chloromine in the tap water and it takes 24 hours for the conditioner to take care of it. My nitrate level is still high but I am less consurned about it as I am the ammonia. I plan on doing 30-50% water changes every day for the next week or 2 to get the nitrate levels to go down.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom