Water Reading Always .25 Ammonia.

danhutchins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Respectfully, who are you talking to?

Btw guys as of yesterday, with almost 4 days of no wc my ammonia raised to .50. I'm NOT cycled and it seems the .25 was not a false positive.
Jesus its been TWO MONTHS. I really want this to be a direct result of it being a previous reptile tank and that when I switch tanks today I will stop having these problems.
When I pick up the tank im thinking of picking up another bottle or two of TSS+ and dosing the tank tomorrow just in case. Sound like a good plan?
Was speaking to OP. For some reason it didn't quote. Thought it was obvious.

leannajayde

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Where are you getting your info? I test my water with master test kit and I am at 0 ammonia every time I test. Who ever said the fish only grow to the size of the tank should not give advice. And the 1 inch per gallon is 1 inch of adult fish and is only a guideline. There are other factors. So before claiming everything is false why not get real advice?
Are you saying I was claiming something that was false? Im confused. Where did anyone talk about the one inch per gallon or that fish only grow to the size of their tank?

danhutchins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Are you saying I was claiming something that was false? Im confused. Where did anyone talk about the one inch per gallon or that fish only grow to the size of their tank?
Ok, so it wasn't the OP, it was redshark on page 3. Sorry for the confusion.

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
A bottle yes. Two likely wont do you much. When's the last time you tested your tap water? It usually fluctuates with weather in some places.

leannajayde

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
A bottle yes. Two likely wont do you much. When's the last time you tested your tap water? It usually fluctuates with weather in some places.
Like, last week. I have well water so I don't think it changes too much.
I wasn't able to pick up any tss, only one store had it and it was the big bottle for 25 DOLLARS! considering i just spent almost 200 on everything else its going to have to wait until next pay period if I need it.
I just got everything set up and transferred. Ill check the water in a few hours once everything has settled down.
Let me tell you, that.was.not.fun
I need a new light now, my lamp isn't cutting it with the dark substrate. Maybe a lighter back ground too. I still don't know if I like the color.
20180417_185947.jpg

leannajayde

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yeah I would definitely get another light for that dark side. In the mean time keep your live plants in the bright part
The only plants i have "on the dark side"(haha) are some Annubis and they're only there because I literally have no more room on the other side.
Im just going to go to Wal-Mart and get another clip desk lamp like the other one and put on that side until i can save up for an actual aquriam lamp.
Ill let you know tomorrow what my readings are.

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
The only plants i have "on the dark side"(haha) are some Annubis and they're only there because I literally have no more room on the other side.
Im just going to go to Wal-Mart and get another clip desk lamp like the other one and put on that side until i can save up for an actual aquriam lamp.
Ill let you know tomorrow what my readings are.
With the right CFL bulbs, those lights can grow pretty well in a tank your size. You dont want to be pulled into that dark side though. I'm currently dealing with 3 different algae and some cyanobacteria. I think I screwed up and overdosed ferts and the sun was hitting my tank in the afternoon without my realizing it. Gonna have to buy stock in hydrogen peroxide lol.

leannajayde

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
With the right CFL bulbs, those lights can grow pretty well in a tank your size. You dont want to be pulled into that dark side though. I'm currently dealing with 3 different algae and some cyanobacteria. I think I screwed up and overdosed ferts and the sun was hitting my tank in the afternoon without my realizing it. Gonna have to buy stock in hydrogen peroxide lol.
Uh-oh! When I first set up this tank in my room I thought it would be a good idea to open my blinds and let daylight hit my tank directly all day long. I learned quickly that you should absolutely NOT do that, Luckly it when quickly enough that I didn't experience any issue from it.
When I open my blinds now I always throw a small blanket over the front of the tank.
What's CFL bulbs?

Hunter1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I feel your frustration.

I have no idea why you are having such a difficult time.

An off the wall suggestion. Get a sponge filter or 2 and an air pump. Add TetraSafeStart directly into the sponge. Those are ammonia eating machines once they are cycled.

I have them in all of my tanks but don’t usually recommend them but in your case, I think it will work.

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I feel your frustration.

I have no idea why you are having such a difficult time.

An off the wall suggestion. Get a sponge filter or 2 and an air pump. Add TetraSafeStart directly into the sponge. Those are ammonia eating machines once they are cycled.

I have them in all of my tanks but don’t usually recommend them but in your case, I think it will work.
She's been having some... advanced issues with cycling this tank.

CFL are pretty much the only kind of light bulb you can buy nowadays unless you get the newer led lights. It's the spiral shaped bulbs. Compact Fluorescent Light.

leannajayde

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
She's been having some... advanced issues with cycling this tank.

CFL are pretty much the only kind of light bulb you can buy nowadays unless you get the newer led lights. It's the spiral shaped bulbs. Compact Fluorescent Light.
Okay yea, that's the kind of bulb I have in my current lamp.
So just did a test and a low .25 ammonia, 0 nitrite and 20 nitrate.
If the ammonia continues in this tank then it has to be false.
The only thing I transferred was my filters, one small hide and the plants.
Every thing else is BRAND new and well cleaned.
I'm getting rid of my female guppies soon and before i add anything else im going to wait a few days and see if the ammonia goes to 0, if so ill assume I was overstocked.
Would 7 guppies, three small albino cory, one small lace, one mystery snail and two ghost shrimp have me over stocked currently?

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Okay yea, that's the kind of bulb I have in my current lamp.
So just did a test and a low .25 ammonia, 0 nitrite and 20 nitrate.
If the ammonia continues in this tank then it has to be false.
The only thing I transferred was my filters, one small hide and the plants.
Every thing else is BRAND new and well cleaned.
I'm getting rid of my female guppies soon and before i add anything else im going to wait a few days and see if the ammonia goes to 0, if so ill assume I was overstocked.
Would 7 guppies, three small albino cory, one small lace, one mystery snail and two ghost shrimp have me over stocked currently?
I am terrible about knowing stocking so I'm sorry but I cant help you there.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom