Water Question

Julieish

Reaction score
6FC6FF9B-E6DC-4DAD-9EA6-84F06573F90A.jpeg
I have a baby and there is this film that looks oily forming on the top of the bowl. It isn’t across the entire bowl, just in one area. It looks like it has bubbles but I didn’t think a baby could make bubbles plus I think it might be a girl.. I was told the Betta was a boy but he isn’t turning colors so I’m doubtful but I really don’t know. I saw a baby smaller than this one and he already was turning red. I’m attaching a picture. Might be hard to see but I tried to capture it. The bowl is around 3 gallons, it has a heater and is around 78 degrees. No filter. I did a partial water change 2 days ago. Please let me know if you need any other information.

Kysarkel000

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If you look on the underside of your betta, the females have a white bump in between it's pectoral fins (the ones in the front). Sometimes it can be really hard to tell. Both male and female bettas can blow bubble nests.

It could also be bio-film forming. Do you have something that disturbs the surface of the water like a water pump? (You should really have a filter, or at least gravel, for the benificial bacteria to grow on. Do you know about the nitrogen cycle?)

For the fish's color, what color is it now? Any stripes? Different individuals grow at different rates, just like humans!

Bowls arnt the best for fish for various reasons, you might want to look into getting a 2.5 or 5g tank

Julieish

Reaction score
8282DDE5-C812-426C-891C-3B8DD5B309D5.jpeg
Hi. Thank you both for your advice. The size wouldn’t let me post las night so sorry for the delay in responding. I wiped it up with the paper towel and did a partial water change and tested the water and it was fine. I’ll go to the aquarium store tomorrrow to eve about getting the pump and sponge filter and will consider getting a tank.

I’ve tried and tried to look at the belly for that white spot but the darn fish won’t let me. The dish is actually almost see through- my daughter named him/her spooky because it’s like a ghost. It has a little silver on one side with what almost looks like a white dot but it’s in the side, not the belly. I’m uploading a few views (in a collage) but the camera, with or without flash, makes it look more red than it is or even whiter. It’s somewhere in between. Almost flesh colored. Where the flash whites it out on the side is where there is the silver with the white dot. It’s the happiest little fish.

Julieish

Reaction score
Excuse all the typos. The site not size, to see not eve, fish not dish etc...hopefully you can decipher

bitseriously

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
On my post, it's here:
upload_2018-5-14_8-27-47.png

So on your post, it would be here (and would show up here on any post you have written):
upload_2018-5-14_8-27-56.png

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom