Water quality

Amccurry

Hello everyone !
I have a 10 gallon tank but for some reason my ammonia levels are always high. I change the water once a week (25%) and I use water conditioner. I even got an amino a killer and put that in the tank for one of the weeks and it’s still high. Does anyone know what could be the problem? I feed them once a day and I clean their filter every 15-20 days.

FoldedCheese

Did you cycle the tank before adding fish? What's the stocking of the tank? How do you clean the filter?

Amccurry

Did you cycle the tank before adding fish? What's the stocking of the tank? How do you clean the filter?
Yeah it’s cycled. It’s been like 4 months now since I’ve had them. I’m not sure what stocking of the tank means lol. And I clean it with their own water in a bucket. The fish seems fine btw no one has died or looks sick.

AggressiveAquatics

Yeah it’s cycled. It’s been like 4 months now since I’ve had them. I’m not sure what stocking of the tank means lol. And I clean it with their own water in a bucket. The fish seems fine btw no one has died or looks sick.
Stocking is all the live things in your tank (fish, inverts). What are you using to test the water? And do you have ammonia in your water source for water changes?

StarGirl

Did you check your tap water for ammonia?

Amccurry

Stocking is all the live things in your tank (fish, inverts). What are you using to test the water? And do you have ammonia in your water source for water changes?
Oh ok! I have a molly, 2 Snails, a beta, a platty and a ghost shrimp. I use the test kit not the strips. And I don’t think so since this just started to happen but I use water conditioner which removes ammonia.
Did you check your tap water for ammonia?
It may have it but I still use conditioner which I let sit for 20-30 minutes before I put the new water in.

StarGirl

Oh ok! I have a molly, 2 Snails, a beta, a platty and a ghost shrimp. I use the test kit not the strips. And I don’t think so since this just started to happen but I use water conditioner which removes ammonia.

It may have it but I still use conditioner which I let sit for 20-30 minutes before I put the new water in.
It will still add ammonia to your tank. You may want to know how much is in the water.

Also the Ammo lock? Amino whatever? you are putting in there may have messed things up for you cycle wise.

Amccurry

It will still add ammonia to your tank. You may want to know how much is in the water.

Also the Ammo lock? Amino whatever? you are putting in there may have messed things up for you cycle wise.
I’m not sure how to check my tap waters ammonia and what is considered too much. Also do I fix it by just doing water changes?

AggressiveAquatics

Can you define “high”. To some people .25 is high

Amccurry

Can you define “high”. To some people .25 is high
It’s like 2.0
It’s like 2.0
Which is very high lol. I just did a 20% water change today and I have another one scheduled for Monday.

StarGirl

I’m not sure how to check my tap waters ammonia and what is considered too much. Also do I fix it by just doing water changes?
You check your tap water like you do your tank water. Just fill the tube up with water from your sink and test it.

Amccurry

You check your tap water like you do your tank water. Just fill the tube up with water from your sink and test it.
But what if it is high and what is considered high

StarGirl

Your cycle should be removing the ammonia if it is in your tap water.

Stop adding any ammonia removing/blocking products. They will make your bacteria you worked so hard for to die. Also they can make a test prove positive and it really isn't.

Amccurry

Your cycle should be removing the ammonia if it is in your tap water.

Stop adding any ammonia removing/blocking products. They will make your bacteria you worked so hard for to die. Also they can make a test prove positive and it really isn't.
Ok. So shoild I still do some more water changes? Or just keep it to twice a month?

StarGirl

Ok. So shoild I still do some more water changes? Or just keep it to twice a month?
I change 50% weekly. If you are having issues maybe you need to do some every week instead of twice a month.

Amccurry

I change 50% weekly. If you are having issues maybe you need to do some every week instead of twice a month.
I usually do it once a week but if my water is high in ammonia I also don’t want to add more ammonia. But basically to help the ammonia I should just do a water change once a week?

StarGirl

Have you figured out what your tap water reading is yet?

Do a big water change with no ammonia reducer and see what it is tomorrow. You said you use Prime so thats good.

AggressiveAquatics

I usually do it once a week but if my water is high in ammonia I also don’t want to add more ammonia. But basically to help the ammonia I should just do a water change once a week?
You won’t know until you test your tap water. But once every two months isn’t enough so hopefully there isn’t any. I have a suspicion on where the ammonia is coming from. Do you have gravel? If you do then there’s probably food trapped under it that’s decomposing and rotting causing ammonia

Amccurry

No I clean it twice a month not once every 2 months
You won’t know until you test your tap water. But once every two months isn’t enough so hopefully there isn’t any. I have a suspicion on where the ammonia is coming from. Do you have gravel? If you do then there’s probably food trapped under it that’s decomposing and rotting causing ammonia
Have you figured out what your tap water reading is yet?

Do a big water change with no ammonia reducer and see what it is tomorrow. You said you use Prime so thats good.
Ok so my tap water is hitting 0 ammonia. So I will def do a 50% change every week. To get my levels at 0 tho I am going to change the water every other day until I get my correct readings.
It probably that. I do gravel clean a section each cleaning but maybe my gravel cleaner isn’t doing it’s job.

StarGirl

No I clean it twice a month not once every 2 months

Ok so my tap water is hitting 0 ammonia. So I will def do a 50% change every week. To get my levels at 0 tho I am going to change the water every other day until I get my correct readings.
I would. Do you gravel vac also?

Amccurry

I would. Do you gravel vac also?
Yeah I do a section a cleaning so it doesn’t kill off my good bacteria.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
GhostRaven
Replies
Views
Calum98
Replies
Views
Thunder_o_b
Replies
Views