Water quality issues

Pfrozen
My bamboo shrimp was fanning for a bit but hes started digging through the substrate now. I'm currently experiencing a mini-cycle, so I can't overfeed with powder right now since I'm having a hard time controlling my ammonia. Its presently sitting at around 0.2ppm after a 40% WC. I did the same yesterday.

This mini cycle has come at a really bad time and of course it's my own fault, so I'm trying to damage control and keep my fish happy. My bamboo shrimp turned brown after my water change this morning so I can tell he isnt happy.

How do I add organisms to the water column quickly? Is there a way to do this without having to wait for them to build up naturally?

I can purchase live plants, but all the ones at my LFS are covered in snails and black spot algae. I definitely need these plants but I'm not sure about introducing algae. I was already supposed to have plants in my tank, but I had an issue with ordering last week. I could always just go into the woods and get plants but.. yea.

Any advice would be appreciated.

FishGirl38
You could add a beneficial bacteria supplement, like tetra safe start or Dr. Tims one and only. BUT...these products are usually 'starter' colonies. I've heard they don't do much for a 'cycling' aquarium. If you mean adding bacteria quickly without waiting.

If you mean fish, it's a bad idea to add anything while you're in a mini cycle, but I'm pretty sure by organisms, you mean your nitrosomonas and nitrobacter bacteria.

As far as the plants. I def. wouldn't go adding wild plants to the tank. You risk adding pesticides, fungi, or potentially parasites to the tank. (you could dose the plants in a bucket with some copper sulfate before adding them to your aquarium to kill the snails?).

Essentially, when you buy plants from the fish store and take them home into your tank, you may see some initial decay or melting of the plant right away. This is due to acclimation, and it happens because the plant was used to the nutrient and lighting levels in their old (store) tank, once they're moved into different conditions, their growth rate changes and acclimates accordingly and you're either left with a little bit of bright green that needs to regrow, or the plant doesn't melt much at all because nutrient/lighting levels are similar. What I'm trying to say is, if you don't have conditions in your tank that would promote BBA growth, than adding it to your tank may not matter so much. If the algae doesn't have what it needs to grow (just like with plants) over time, it will die off too. Though it is a bit of a risk. Peroxide to the BBA will (first bleach) and then kill it (so that's an idea too?).

.2ppm ammonia isn't TOO high...and you do want some ammonia in the tank to HELP your bacteria colonies grow. If you're very worried about the toxicity amounts, get some Prime if you're able.

EDIT: plants take in ammonium and nitrate, so they would technically 'help' a tiny bit with the mini-cycle if you were to add them.

Pfrozen
FishGirl38 said:
You could add a beneficial bacteria supplement, like tetra safe start or Dr. Tims one and only. BUT...these products are usually 'starter' colonies. I've heard they don't do much for a 'cycling' aquarium. If you mean adding bacteria quickly without waiting.

If you mean fish, it's a bad idea to add anything while you're in a mini cycle, but I'm pretty sure by organisms, you mean your nitrosomonas and nitrobacter bacteria.

As far as the plants. I def. wouldn't go adding wild plants to the tank. You risk adding pesticides, fungi, or potentially parasites to the tank. (you could dose the plants in a bucket with some copper sulfate before adding them to your aquarium to kill the snails?).

Essentially, when you buy plants from the fish store and take them home into your tank, you may see some initial decay or melting of the plant right away. This is due to acclimation, and it happens because the plant was used to the nutrient and lighting levels in their old (store) tank, once they're moved into different conditions, their growth rate changes and acclimates accordingly and you're either left with a little bit of bright green that needs to regrow, or the plant doesn't melt much at all because nutrient/lighting levels are similar. What I'm trying to say is, if you don't have conditions in your tank that would promote BBA growth, than adding it to your tank may not matter so much. If the algae doesn't have what it needs to grow (just like with plants) over time, it will die off too. Though it is a bit of a risk. Peroxide to the BBA will (first bleach) and then kill it (so that's an idea too?).

.2ppm ammonia isn't TOO high...and you do want some ammonia in the tank to HELP your bacteria colonies grow. If you're very worried about the toxicity amounts, get some Prime if you're able.

EDIT: plants take in ammonium and nitrate, so they would technically 'help' a tiny bit with the mini-cycle if you were to add them.
My tank is already cycled, I'm experiencing a "mini cycle" right now. I removed some media that held a small percentage of my BB colony so my tank is catching up. Im guessing this mini cycle will last a few days at most and I'm dosing with seachem stability every day in addition to the water changes. The plants are for the bamboo shrimp, they're essential to his survival. He also cant have any ammonia in the water, just how bamboo shrimp are. The plants would help keep my water clean during this mini cycle and would give my bamboo shrimp microorganisms to consume.

So, I'm wondering if theres a way to introduce a food source artificially. Does frozen infusoria exist? I have no clue.

I could also just drive 2.5 hours to buy plants but 5 hours of gas would suck. Of course I'll do that if it's my only option though

Pfrozen
Eh I'll just drive all day, screw it. My shrimp is filtering again anyways so hes probably fine for a few days. Mods feel free to delete this thread

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom