Water Quality Issues due to ice storm

Rose of Sharon

Hi,

Since we went through the winter storm Viola, and lost water for 6 days, we are now under a boil advisory for our water system. I usually only use spring water for my betta because the spring water that I get actually has minerals in it, and our tap water is, well, pretty bad on a good day. Since the boil advisory, there has been no spring water to buy at the stores in my area, and I don't know when new stock will reach us.

I do have a friend that has a well. I tested the water from that well, and the ph is good (7.6), which is the same reading from the spring water, but there are nitrites (between .25ppm's and .50 ppm's) present, too. The nitrate levels are acceptable at 5 ppm's, and there was no ammonia. Would it be dangerous for me to do a partial water change with the well water? I really don't want to do anything that will stress him.

My betta is in a filtered, cycled 5 gallon tank with no tank mates, and I usually do a 30 to 40% change every 7 days or so. I do use Prime water conditioner, and when I tested his water there was 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and less than 5 ppm's of nitrate. The ph was 7.6. And I do vacuum his gravel with every change.

Thanks in advance for your help!

ChrissFishes01

Personally, I would just leave the tank alone. A betta won't make much waste, and it'll take a while for nitrates to build up to a point of being even remotely risky.

You could go ahead and use the well water, though I'd probably do tiny water changes every 2-3 days. Like, maybe do half a gallon 3-4 times a week to get your 40-ish% WC. That way your biofilter will have a chance to remove the nitrites as you add tiny amounts, and it should never build to a toxic level.

Again, though, I'd just leave it be. Might even be a good time to experiment with live plants, especially stuff like Pothos. I've got some in my 5 gallon dwarf puffer tank, and you wouldn't believe the difference in water quality.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
CindiL
Replies
Views
Crash4hope
Replies
Views
CarrieF
Replies