Water Quality Help Help

1. Deerp Initiate Member

I recently bought 3 Nerite Snails from PetCo and I don't exactly know if tap water is a proper kind of water to fill my tank to house my snails. Does tap water allow algae to grow that Nerites will eat? I feel as if one of my Nerites, Barry, is trying to escape due to the tap water. Can anyone please help? Thanks. :3

2. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to fishlore!
    Do you use a water conditioner? I use tap water, and algae grows in it.....
    What are your water's ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings? Do you use a liquid test kit, or any at all?

3. Deerp Initiate Member

I didn't use any liquid test kits on the tap water. But I'm sure my snails would probably live with the tap water. It's pretty clean when I look at the tap water.

4. FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

Did you put any water conditioner or dechlorinator in the tap water? Directly putting tap water in with the snails will kill them because of the chlorine & chloramine in the tap water.

5. Deerp Initiate Member

I don't think so. I do believe that the water that comes out of my kitchen sink comes from the Lake Mead Reservoir and goes through filtration to get here.

6. FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

At the end of the filtration process, they add chlorine into the water.

"Regardless of filtration method, disinfection follows with a dose of chlorine, UV light, or ozone to inactivate any remaining bacteria or pathogens. Ozonation can provide improved reduction of some of the trace organic contaminants in the water. Now the cleaned wastewater is ready to head out through Las Vegas Wash to Lake Mead(5)."

Source: Wastewater Treatment - Lake Mead National Recreation Area (U.S. National Park Service)

7. Deerp Initiate Member

I just checked with a friend and he said that the water I used has no chlorine. So does the chlorine get removed or dissipate away while it sits in Lake Mead? This is all very confusing to me.

8. smee82 Well Known Member Member

I would still treat your water before adding it to your tank

9. Deerp Initiate Member

How would I do that? I don't have any place to put my snails while I treat the water. Thanks for the help everyone :3.

10. FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

You don't need to take the snails anywhere. Just drop a few drops of dechlorinator into the tank and the water will be treated.

11. Deerp Initiate Member

Thanks for all the help everyone! :3

12. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to the forum :)

Since your profile says you don't know the nitrogen cycle, I would read up on that as well. It's the most important part of fish (and snail) keeping.