Water quality help

1. fishfanatic15 Member Member

So my story is explained in my last thread. I just got a test kit and have never tested water before I need some help interpretating these results and then what to do about them[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Mom2some Well Known Member Member

I would say ammonia is 0.5 to 1.0, nitrites are 0.5 and nitrates are about 10-20. You can immediately improve all of these numbers with a large water change. When using conditioned/dechlorinate S tap water. What size tank? What is in the tank? Welcome to the forum!

3. fishfanatic15 Member Member

10g I have 2 platys and a molly. I did a large water change yesterday (about 75-80%) Then I tested again today. I am currently waiting on results

4. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Your tank looks like it is cycling. How long have you had your tank running for?

5. leftswerve Well Known Member Member

Add a little more to your story from yesterday, you have already added "prime, cycle" , not sure whay "cycle" is, but that can have a big affect on what your next step is.
    You may have even waisted the "cycle" product, because you really need to do those water changes first.

6. fishfanatic15 Member Member

From what I found cycle is like seachem stability. BTW this is my water test from before a big water change (about 75%) and prime + cycle.

7. leftswerve Well Known Member Member

Ok, good, now what does the test look like after the water change ?

8. fishfanatic15 Member Member

I tested water this morning here are the results
    Ammonia: 0.25-0.50
    Nitrite: 0.25
    Nitrate : about 5ish
    Ph: 7.5

My tap has about 0.25 ppm ammonia. Is there anything else I should do

9. leftswerve Well Known Member Member

The 0.25 could just be a test innacuracy, maybe even take the tube out to the sun light.
    The prime will help take care of that.
    Now on to cycling your tank.
    Since I don't know about the cycle product you bought, I can't help you with the next step in using that.

If you are JUST going to use prime, follow the water change instructions yesterday using the prime to treat the water each time.
    Shoot for Nitrite under 1 closer to 0.5 or better with each partial change until cycled. 0/0/Nitrate 20 or less.

10. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

Btw the best way to analyze the vials are by sunlight through a window or something and I find not letting the glass touch the paper can help not create a dark part in the middle, resulting in a consistent color throughout the vial. I also move the vial into different angles until I get a consistent color throughout the vial from the sunlight. Just how I do it! Some tips to make readings easier maybe? When the light hits the vial at the perfect angle, the entire vial of liquid tends to be one color, such as the ammonia vial in your pics.

11. fishfanatic15 Member Member

Okay. I will update later after water change

12. Jsigmo Well Known Member Member

To add to the confusion, the API test kit will show both free and combined ammonia. So after you add Prime to your tap water, even though the Prime binds the ammonia liberated from any chloramine that was in the tap water, the test will still show that ammonia (even though it's now combined, and safe for the fish).

So don't be too alarmed at the ammonia readings you see in a tank freshly treated with Prime.

You can check with your water supplier to verify if they use chloramine as their secondary disinfectant. Chloramine is very common, now, in tap water.

Also, we need to know the pH of your aquarium water to know if ammonia is likely to exist as free ammonia, or as ammonium. Knowing the temperature will also help us know if the ammonia level is toxic or safe.

13. fishfanatic15 Member Member

Okay so o know it's been awhile but to update...
    I have been doing daily water changes and treating with treating with prime.
    My pH is 7.5 and temp is 78.1°f
    (I have a aqueon preset heater to regulate the temp)

Today ammonia levels were 0 (Or very slightly above). Nitrite has started to spike (which I was expecting) nitrate was about 10ish

14. Mom2some Well Known Member Member

You are getting there! Congrats on sticking with it! Question... do you have nitrates in your water? I have forgotten.... just curious about the 10 nitrates and only starting nitrites.

15. fishfanatic15 Member Member

I am not sure I will test the tap. I had nitrates back when I had the high ammonia. My numbers where all over the place and I had ammonia nitrite and nitrate all at the same time.

16. fishfanatic15 Member Member

Okay so I did my regular PWC earlier today and decided to test the water tonight because I noticed my platys where gulping for air and I started to worry.
    https://vimeo.com/170098774

Here is my water test
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I tested my tap for nitrate
    [​IMG]

17. Mom2some Well Known Member Member

Well - congrats, you are cycled! Looks like you have nitrates in your tap (as do I). Thankfully at 5ppm I have not found it to be huge nuisance regarding my current bioload and the buildup of nitrates by the end of the week (like you I get to 10-20 by the end of the week). I don't know why the fish are gulping. I had a similar issue, and it turned out to be my pH is falling. So I have a thread trying to fix that... I would suggest you check your pH and see if that is where you expect it to be.

18. fishfanatic15 Member Member

My pH is still at 7.5 like it has been. My fish are still gulping but not as often

Also can I do every other day PWCs now or stick with daily
    And should I continue to dose with prime

19. Mom2some Well Known Member Member

You should continue to dose with Prime forever.

Most people do 1 water change a week (mine is about 50% to try and get as much fresh water as I can in there at one go), some do 2 if they need it. Once your tank is cycled the goal of water changes is to reduce the level of the nitrates and to bring fresh minerals, etc. into the tank that are there in trace amounts but important for fish health. So it really depends on your tank... my nitrates rise from 5 (since that is what is in my tap water) to 10/20 over the course of the week, and then I do a 50% water change to get them back to 5-ish. I have read here the goal is to be under 20 ideally, at least under 40. But the fresh water is also that... fresh/clean/unpolluted. Since they are not in stream where the waste is swept away and new water arrives, we need to supply that for them. Good luck - and when do we get to see picture of this tank you have put so much hard work into?

20. fishfanatic15 Member Member

[​IMG]