Water Pump For Water Change

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by Pachirisu, Apr 19, 2017.

1. PachirisuNew MemberMember

Hi, everyone, I don't if this has been discussed here. If so, please forgive my duplicated post.

Very new to aquarium, and I am planing to make my first water change. Want to know if a water pump is necessary to accomplish that? And which type of water pump is good for a newb? It'd better be easy to set up. Since I am currently livind in Australia, I look up at this store   for some water pump. Could you guys take a few minutes to check that and give me some advice for some of them?

Thanks in advance.

2. Tanks and Plants

Tanks and PlantsWell Known MemberMember

Try and go on YouTube and type in how to change water in an aquarium. You should be able to understand a lot easier if you can see what to do. For a beginner I would use a non-electric water pump. YouTube would be your best bet.

3. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

Greetings and welcome to the forum :)

I use a self priming siphon. This is the one I use. But there are several different ones out there.  

4. OP
    OP
    P

PachirisuNew MemberMember

Thanks! Never thought of Youtube....:eek:

5. OP
    OP
    P

PachirisuNew MemberMember

Thanks for your reply. but my tank has 33 gallons, will it take a longer time using siphon?
    Just very new to this

6. Thunder_o_b

We have in use at this time 10, 29, 37, 44 and 55 gallon aquariums. I use it for water changes/gravel vac on all of them. If I have to drain a large aquarium completely I use a 50' garden hose that has had the fitting cut off and run it outside. I have to manually start that one.

7. hammerbuttNew MemberMember

You only need an electric pump if you don't have enough elevation. If you can get the end of the hose at least 6 feet below your aquarium it will be fast

8. Randy Mcclaren

Randy McclarenNew MemberMember

I bought the aqueon gravel cleaner that hooks to a water faucet u drain and clean gravel the switch valve and fill right back up

9. Sal ConiglioNew MemberMember

I have a series of smallish aquariums 5-10 gallons that need regular water changes. Problem is they are close to the floor. Siphoning is suboptimal at best.

Is it possible to set up a gravel cleaner to an external canister filter? Instead of having the output going back into the tank from the filter, it would go into a bucket for emptying. Hook up a flexible tube next to gravel cleaner apparatus to thei input tube. Then when it is time to change the next tank, just hook the filter up to it get it running for a minute or so and then put output back to bucket.

I cant see anything at first glance that would suggest this arrangement wouldnt work. Has anyone used a setup like this?

10. Thunder_o_b

Hmmmm, should work.

11. Sal ConiglioNew MemberMember

My days of sucking at the end of a hose and getting a mouth full of fishwater are over. I will do anything to avoid this.

12. Thunder_o_b

The one I listed above is a self priming syphon.

13. Sal ConiglioNew MemberMember

That works well for large aquariums and I use something like it for 30 gallon.

I cant use it for the small tanks near the floor.

14. Cathy's fish

Cathy's fishNew MemberMember

I've never sucked on an aquarium hose and i never will.. I fill the vacuum canister with water from the tank while crimping the line about 3 ft from the start... wait till that first part of tubing is without air bubbles, by raising it high and them submerge the vacuum head, at the same time releasing the crimp and the water will start to flow.
    I do this on any size tank... from 5g to 60 g

15. AvalancheDave

AvalancheDaveWell Known MemberMember

I have a Marineland Magnum 350 that came with a gravel vacuum. I've used it for many years mostly as a vacuum with the micron cartridge. It allows me to vacuum aquariums or sumps that aren't very far off of the ground and also gives me infinite time to vacuum since it returns water to the tank. I once tried the Eheim sludge remover but it was very weak and the mesh was too coarse so it emitted a cloud of fine debris. I had no such problems with the Magnum 350 though.

The gravel vacuum fits any 1/2" ID tubing so it could be used with any canister filter but most probably lack the fine particle filtration of a micron cartridge. Those would clog quickly in continuous use.

Cobalt makes a power filter that has a vacuum attachment but I'm not sure it works well. I suspect it might not be powerful enough.

16. Nada Mucho

Nada MuchoWell Known MemberMember

I'm using a Wayne PC2 transfer pump and it's fantastic and only the size of a soda can. I'm actually making a post with my powered system now so take a look if you feel like it.

17. Nada Mucho

Nada MuchoWell Known MemberMember

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice