Water pump back siphon water changes??

ohhithere

I'm planning on setting up a system for water changes where I can just leave the pump in to make things easier. Would it back siphon when i turned the pump off?

MrBryan723

It depends on the elevation of the hose ends. If you're pumping down hill then no, but if you're punping uphill, yes possibly. You can always use a check valve if needed.
(Edit)
The pump would continue to drain without physically stopping it even when off if the hose is lower than the tank tho. I think that might actually be what you're asking?

Upvote 0

ohhithere

Yeah, that's what I was asking. like its in a position where if there was water flow, it would siphon. So im guessing that it would keep going even when the pump's off. But a check valve would prevent this?

Upvote 0

MrBryan723

No, it wouldn't. A shut off valve would. A check valve just allows water to flow in 1 direction instead of both. It's easy enough to just lift the end of the hose high enough to break the siphon and it won't start bqck up until you start the pump again.

Upvote 0

ohhithere

No, it wouldn't. A shut off valve would. A check valve just allows water to flow in 1 direction instead of both. It's easy enough to just lift the end of the hose high enough to break the siphon and it won't start bqck up until you start the pump again.
hmm so the reason im trying to make this as easy as possible is because my family will be taking care of my fish while im at school and I want to make sure there are few ways they... can mess up basically with water changes. Im just wondering if theres a valve i can get so if the pump turns off while pumping water, it wont drain the tank

Upvote 0

MrBryan723

This will get the job done. Just make sure you get the right sizes.
You must be registered to see images
You must be registered to see images

Upvote 0

ohhithere

got it, thank you so much for your help

Upvote 0

ohhithere

So one more thing... from my understanding, a ball valve has to be manually shut on and off... what if I had a check valve as a sort of safety net? does it straight up not stop backflow or is it just unreliable? Also, im planning on attaching 1/2 in tubing directly to my faucet, is there a possibility of back siphoning there, even if the tube is secured to the faucet?

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
  • Question
Replies
Views
ForceTen
Replies
Views
PurityNWhiteRoses