Help Water Parameters

riley2019

Reaction score
I just tested my saltwater parameters but I’m not sure whether it looks like 0 or .25 ammonia. It’s so hard to tell. After I shook the ammonia I timed 5 minutes right away and took a reading at the 5 minute mark. To me it looks like 0 but after it sits longer than 5 minutes it turns into a lighter green. As of right now it looks like 0 ammonia 0 nitrite 10 nitrate. What do you guys like about the ammonia?

Attachments

Jesterrace

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
This is why many folks (myself included) aren't fans of the API test kit as it can produce false positives (particularly .25) for ammonia. To me it looks .25 but I would definitely want a second opinion to confirm. Do you have an LFS that you can take a sample of your water to to confirm the test? In the long run I do strongly recommend switching to the likes of Red Sea, Salifert, Hannah or Nyos. Any of them would be better choices for clearer results.

OP
R

riley2019

Reaction score
Jesterrace said:
This is why many folks (myself included) aren't fans of the API test kit as it can produce false positives (particularly .25) for ammonia. To me it looks .25 but I would definitely want a second opinion to confirm. Do you have an LFS that you can take a sample of your water to to confirm the test? In the long run I do strongly recommend switching to the likes of Red Sea, Salifert, Hannah or Nyos. Any of them would be better choices for clearer results.
Yes I’ll take in to my LFS to confirm but I’m pretty sure they use API as well.

Jesterrace

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
riley2019 said:
Yes I’ll take in to my LFS to confirm but I’m pretty sure they use API as well.
It's generally the cheapest way of confirming it.

New Threads