Water Parameters

1. m

mchadzu84 New Member Member

We have had fish in our new 110 gallon tank for a week. 7 fish total at almost 2 inches each. We made sure our water parameters were ok before the fish and they are the same as of last night even with the fish. We use the API liquid test kits.

My concern is reading the colors on the card. The nitrite is definitely always 0. The ammonia is never the bright yellow color that is supposed to be 0. It looks to us more between 0 and 0.25 and with the fish in, even more of the 0.25 side. The nitrate is 10. Our pH is currently 7.4 and our temp is 78.6.

How accurate are the test kits and should I be worried that our results seem to be between colors? I know how dangerous any nitrite or ammonia in the tank can be and I definitely do not want to kill any fish.

2. Lchi87

Lchi87 Fishlore VIP Member

I'd check the date on the bottles just to make sure they haven't expired and also the bottles that require shaking; make sure you really shake them. That can help ensure that you aren't getting skewed readings. I find it helpful to pop open the vial and look down into the tube against the white part of the card in daylight to really get a true look at the color. Mine was never a bright yellow either but I posted a photo of the results here and the general consensus was that my ammonia was at 0. Feel free to post photos here like I did and the folks here will be happy to weigh in, as they did for me :)

3. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

If the fish had just been added a week ago, your tank could be going through a mini cycle. How did you cycle the tank before the fish were added? Can you also test your water source for ammonia and nitrates?

At that ammonia, ph and temp, it's not toxic to your fish but do you have a good water conditioner like Seachem Prime that detoxifies ammonia and nitrite up to 1ppm for 24hrs?

4. OP
    OP
    m

We used the API quick start and made sure it cycled through. Everything necessary at 0. We have not tested our tap water directly before adding anything to it. We have been using API water conditioner to treat our tap water.

5. el337

The beneficial bacteria should catch up and process the trace of ammonia. I would keep an eye on it daily and do at least a 50% water change of it creeps up to 1ppm. Seachem Prime would be a good water conditioner to get after your API water conditioner runs out. As mentioned previously, not only does Seachem Prime remove the chlorine and chloramines from your tap water but it also detoxifies the ammonia and nitrite.

6. OP
    OP
    m

Thanks for all the help! I already ordered the prime for when the API runs out. We have been testing the water religiously because we want to make sure the parameters are good for the fish. We know things happen with a new tank, but definitely want them alive and healthy.

There does seem to be a thin almost film on the top of the water in our tank, is this at all normal? It's mostly clear, maybe a little white. Also, the tank is not insanely cloudy but has remained cloudy from Day 1. It really hasn't improved.

7. el337

That film is most likely from the fish food. What kind of filter do you have? If you have enough surface agitation from the HOB flow or spray bar from the cannister, it should break that up. You can also lay a paper towel on the surface and lift it up to remove it.

The cloudiness is probably a bacterial bloom which should go away on its own. I wouldn't worry about it.

8. OP
    OP
    m

We have a Hydor 450 Canister Filter. We have the spray bar on it, but have it right under the water line because the noise drives us nuts.

9. el337

Seems that filter only generates 320 gph? If so, you are underfiltered. Maybe get an HOB that generates at least 200-300 gph or another Hydor 450? You can never have too much filtration.

10. OP
    OP
    m

Yeah, it's 320 GPH

11. el337

Generally, the recommended for canisters is 5x the tank size so at least 550 gph for your tank.