Water parameters high! need help!

ferrariluca07

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello, I am new to the fish world.
I set up my 10 gallon tank a week ago, I have 1 betta in it. I was impatient and added 2 cory catfish 2 days after I set up the tank.
I fed the catfish 2 pellets that sunk to the bottom the night before and I woke up to the water being cloudy.
I came home from work seeing the poor catfishes had died. my stupid self knew nothing about the nitrogen cycle but I went to my LFS and told them what happened explained the whole cycle to me. They said to add bio support everyday and clean up left over food that was at the bottom of the tank.
The water has cleared up significantly but I have been testing my water and my ammonia is at 1.0ppm nitrite at 0.25ppm and nitrate at 5.0ppm and my water doesn't have the best smell to it.
I bought a air stone to help with the water agitation as well.
I just did a 20% water change. No food gets left at the bottom because my betta eats right away.
I am stuck I try to do the right things I have no luck.
Can anyone help me and explain what I should do.

SeaMonkey06

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
ferrariluca07 said:
Hello, I am new to the fish world.
I set up my 10 gallon tank a week ago, I have 1 betta in it. I was impatient and added 2 cory catfish 2 days after I set up the tank.
I fed the catfish 2 pellets that sunk to the bottom the night before and I woke up to the water being cloudy.
I came home from work seeing the poor catfishes had died. my stupid self knew nothing about the nitrogen cycle but I went to my LFS and told them what happened explained the whole cycle to me. They said to add bio support everyday and clean up left over food that was at the bottom of the tank.
The water has cleared up significantly but I have been testing my water and my ammonia is at 1.0ppm nitrite at 0.25ppm and nitrate at 5.0ppm and my water doesn't have the best smell to it.
I bought a air stone to help with the water agitation as well.
I just did a 20% water change. No food gets left at the bottom because my betta eats right away.
I am stuck I try to do the right things I have no luck.
Can anyone help me and explain what I should do.
Welcome to the wonderful, addictive world of fish keeping.

So sorry about your two fish :(

Bio support is always a hit or miss and unless you use already cycled filter media, there's nothing that can really guarantee an almost instant cycle.

Since your fish is in your tank, and you're parameters are sky high, you'll be fish in cycling your tank. Good news is: You have some nitrate. Bad news: Ammonia and Nitrite should be non existent.

The only way to fix this? Large water changes (50-75%) everyday until those nitrite and ammonia are at zero. You can try picking up some prime to reduce the stress on your fish. Keep retesting your water and doing water changes accordingly, until you have only a reading of nitrates. That will mean your tank is cycled. I would also feed as little as possible as this will create more ammonia, which you really cannot afford at this point in time.

Good luck, and if you have any other questions, feel free to ask. Here is an article on the nitrogen cycle if you need more information: Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle

SeaMonkey06

Mongo75

Well Known
Reaction score
I'm sorry for the loss of your two fish. It sounds like your cycle is progressing, so all you can really do is wait for it to complete. You want to keep up on your water changes. That's the best way to keep ammonia and nitrites at safe levels and unless your tank is heavily planted, the only way to remove nitrates. I would recommend 75% WC for a 10g, and daily testing until you see zero ammonia and nitrites for a week..

OP
F

ferrariluca07

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
thank you for the response! this is great help. I will be doing water changes everyday! should I be vacuuming the gravel as well when I do the water changes?

SeaMonkey06

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
ferrariluca07 said:
thank you for the response! this is great help. I will be doing water changes everyday! should I be vacuuming the gravel as well when I do the water changes?
No problem :)

It's completely up to you! I personally wouldn't, as the tank is quite new, but if there's still some residue of those pellets you dropped in I'd do a small bit of gravel vacuuming. All the best :D

New Threads