Water Parameters For Red Cherry Shrimp

brondo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Can I ask what your water perameters are? I just like to know what they are used to. I have been struggling with my cherries for a while, and I am curious where yours thrive best.

thequietman44

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
brondo said:
Im interested in the 20+5 also. Can I ask what your water perameters are? I just like to know what they are used to. I have been struggling with my cherries for a while, and I am curious where yours thrive best.
My pH is 7.6, last time I checked KH was 4-5 and GH was about the same. The only "special" thing I do with my shrimp is hang a nylon stocking full of crushed coral in the tank to raise/buffer the pH and add all those lovely trace elements to the water. I've been keeping cherry shrimp for about 10 years so I have a "typical" 10 gallon setup that always seems to end up just right for shrimp.

brondo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
thequietman44 said:
My pH is 7.6, last time I checked KH was 4-5 and GH was about the same. The only "special" thing I do with my shrimp is hang a nylon stocking full of crushed coral in the tank to raise/buffer the pH and add all those lovely trace elements to the water. I've been keeping cherry shrimp for about 10 years so I have a "typical" 10 gallon setup that always seems to end up just right for shrimp.
Wow. Those are my perameters exactly, i am even adding crushed shell to all my tanksm i wonder why I am struggling with bad molts and no breeding. So bizarre

ETNsilverstar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
brondo said:
Wow. Those are my perameters exactly, i am even adding crushed shell to all my tanksm i wonder why I am struggling with bad molts and no breeding. So bizarre
Quite possibly a TDS issue. I'd recommend starting your own thread to ask about it. Lots of us are happy to help with troubleshooting!

thequietman44

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
brondo said:
I don't have any experience with crushed shell, but I've been using Caribsea Aragonite crushed coral and Caribsea coral sand with my shrimp since I started (at the time I didn't know it would raise/buffer the pH, I just thought it looked cool). I don't have a TDS meter but I know more sensitive shrimp require a very specific range to thrive.

FWIW I also feed the shrimp Omega One Veggie Rounds (again, just the first thing I found 10 years ago and it seems to work well) and blanched zucchini. I also have java moss in the tank which seems to positively affect the reproduction (or maybe survival) rate. Recently I started adding Indian almond leaves for good measure, but I haven't noticed any difference good or bad.

brondo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
ETNsilverstar said:
Quite possibly a TDS issue. I'd recommend starting your own thread to ask about it. Lots of us are happy to help with troubleshooting!
I tried. It went nowhere. I am down to 5 cherries, Ive given up there. But the snails I breed for my Fahaka are dying and one og my Marmorkrebs that I am also trying to breed had a bad molt, and was then killed by one of the others while weak. I mean, pest snails and cherry shrimp? How can I be struggling with such basic creatures? My perams are good, i feed right, its bumming me out big time.

Ulu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Try a wondershell in the tank to buffer the water. I used to just put big seashells in my tanks for the fish to hide in and add calcium etc. Eventually . . .slowly. . . . they dissolve into a skeleton of a shell. But wondershell works fast. We have 8+ pH but too-low minerals, yet my snails are growing well now. Before just mediocre.
20190312_220440_resized.jpg

The shrimp are all healthy, but getting eaten by my fish. . .

Ulu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
thequietman44 said:
My pH is 7.6, last time I checked KH was 4-5 and GH was about the same. . .
Is that from the tap or in the tank after aging the crushed coral?

thequietman44

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
In the tank. I haven't tested my tap water in a while but last time I believe it was around 7.2.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom