Water parameters for Nerites

Nopsu

Member
Info:
180L custom corner tank (~47,5 us gallons)
Decently planted, only low light plants. No CO2, flourish 5ml/2x week
10h lights on (one aquael 10W leddy slim plant ) 24°C (75,2F about room temp; steady)
Tap water: 7,7pH GH2 KH 0-2
Tank water: 7,7pH GH7 KH4 NO2 <0,05mg/l NO3 5-10mg/l
Fish: 11 year old RTS & 11 rummy nose tetra


Recently I got 2 nerite snails (zebra & tiger) and researched that my water was way too soft for them (i had GH around 2) and kh of my tap water quite nonexistant.
I bought a bag of crushed coral and a jar of sera mineral salt. Sprinkled some coral on top of the gravel and put some in my filter. I added some of the mineral salt to replacement water with water change.

Should I still increase the mineral or just leave it as it is now? Will the snails be fine with these parameters. My pH and tap water is generally stable so I would like to not shock my fish with too much change.
 

JLAquatics

Member
If you are aware of the Seachem line of products, they make Equilibrium, which will directly raise the GH (calcium and magnesium content) of your water. I almost exclusively use this myself for keeping inverts like neocardinia shrimp and snails including Nerite Snails and it really helps them out. With a GH that low, your snail's shells will dissolve over time without the presence of Calcium or Magnesium which will kill them prematurely. Crushed Coral will definitely raise the buffering capacity of your water (KH), but I'm not so sure on GH. I will wait for a more experienced member to answer that.
 

Deku-Cory

Member
You can use products like Equilibrium like JL suggested, or things like Wonder Shells, cuttlebone, or crushed eggshells. People also will make snail food using a mixture of gelatin, vegetables, and baby food, or feed calcium rich foods like spinach, but frankly I've found that Nerites really don't eat much of anything that I try to supplement them with.
 

JLAquatics

Member
Deku-Cory said:
You can use products like Equilibrium like JL suggested, or things like Wonder Shells, cuttlebone, or crushed eggshells. People also will make snail food using a mixture of gelatin, vegetables, and baby food, or feed calcium rich foods like spinach, but frankly I've found that Nerites really don't eat much of anything that I try to supplement them with.
I agree with Deku-Cory, Nerites don't really eat supplements or "snail" foods. The best way to ensure they are getting enough Calcium and Magnesium is through water dosing such as Equilibrium, Wonder Shells or one of the other options. However, when doing cuttlebone and crushed eggshells, keep in mind that they may also raise the KH of your water as well. I guess a few questions for you are as follows;
1. Where do you get your water from (well water through a softener, straight up well water, city water, or water such as RO or spring water)? Knowing your source can determine the best remedy for restoring your GH.
2. Most importantly, What is your current KH in this tank? If your KH is already high, then it is not a great idea to raise that value even more than need be.
 

Pfrozen

Member
GH 7 KH 4 pH 7.7 is fine for a nerite snail. They would prefer GH a bit higher but you will be fine with 7. Crushed coral should bring that up a bit more, albeit slowly over time. You can't use equilibrium or alkaline buffer if you already use crushed coral... the crushed coral constantly dissolves into your water and eventually will create a stable equilibrium. It makes sense to use crushed coral in a tank of your size

Edit: you "could" use kh/gh minerals but then you will want to just switch over to remineralized water entirely. It will be fine but it just doesn't make sense to mix your water perfectly and then still have crushed coral slowly raising your parameters
 
  • Thread Starter

Nopsu

Member
JLAquatics said:
If you are aware of the Seachem line of products, they make Equilibrium, which will directly raise the GH (calcium and magnesium content) of your water. I almost exclusively use this myself for keeping inverts like neocardinia shrimp and snails including Nerite Snails and it really helps them out. With a GH that low, your snail's shells will dissolve over time without the presence of Calcium or Magnesium which will kill them prematurely. Crushed Coral will definitely raise the buffering capacity of your water (KH), but I'm not so sure on GH. I will wait for a more experienced member to answer that.
My LFS was out of the Seachem one so the Sera mineral salt should do exactly the same just different brand; raise GH by adding calsium, magnesium and other minerals

JLAquatics said:
I agree with Deku-Cory, Nerites don't really eat supplements or "snail" foods. The best way to ensure they are getting enough Calcium and Magnesium is through water dosing such as Equilibrium, Wonder Shells or one of the other options. However, when doing cuttlebone and crushed eggshells, keep in mind that they may also raise the KH of your water as well. I guess a few questions for you are as follows;
1. Where do you get your water from (well water through a softener, straight up well water, city water, or water such as RO or spring water)? Knowing your source can determine the best remedy for restoring your GH.
2. Most importantly, What is your current KH in this tank? If your KH is already high, then it is not a great idea to raise that value even more than need be.
1. As I stated in the info section of my starting post I use tap water (comes from the city) and have listed the parameters the water has without anything added
2. tank KH was at 2 before adding coral and rose to 4 after day or two. KH of my tap is somewhere between 0 and 2 so very low to begin with
Pfrozen said:
GH 7 KH 4 pH 7.7 is fine for a nerite snail. They would prefer GH a bit higher but you will be fine with 7. Crushed coral should bring that up a bit more, albeit slowly over time. You can't use equilibrium or alkaline buffer if you already use crushed coral... the crushed coral constantly dissolves into your water and eventually will create a stable equilibrium. It makes sense to use crushed coral in a tank of your size

Edit: you "could" use kh/gh minerals but then you will want to just switch over to remineralized water entirely. It will be fine but it just doesn't make sense to mix your water perfectly and then still have crushed coral slowly raising your parameters
First use i used both, the gh buffer salt and added the coral to gain last water change. Before adding them I had GH4 and KH2 and pH was same. Do you think I should not add the gh buffer anymore and just let the coral be my only mineral source?
 

JLAquatics

Member
Nopsu said:
My LFS was out of the Seachem one so the Sera mineral salt should do exactly the same just different brand; raise GH by adding calsium, magnesium and other minerals



1. As I stated in the info section of my starting post I use tap water (comes from the city) and have listed the parameters the water has without anything added
2. tank KH was at 2 before adding coral and rose to 4 after day or two. KH of my tap is somewhere between 0 and 2 so very low to begin with


First use i used both, the gh buffer salt and added the coral to gain last water change. Before adding them I had GH4 and KH2 and pH was same. Do you think I should not add the gh buffer anymore and just let the coral be my only mineral source?
I just now saw your parameters from your first post, shows just how much I pay attention to things... I personally wouldn't add a lot more supplements if your GH is already 7. I would just monitor your water frequently with the KH/GH value, but as Pfrozen said it should stabilize after a while with the coral, and as long as that GH and KH dosen't start dipping below their current levels you should be fine. Good luck with your Nerite Snails, they make great and helpful pets in your aquarium.
 

Latest threads

Top Bottom