Water Parameters For Multi's

Discussion in 'Shell Dweller Cichlids' started by Pugwinkle, Jul 7, 2019.

1. Pugwinkle

PugwinkleNew MemberMember

What hardness and ph is your water? I have to do my first water change with the multi's. I did put Carib Sea live sand in with the pool sand when I set up their tank. They are in my water which is softened but I use both hard and soft water (soft water is on the hot tap) to do my water changes for all my other tanks and everyone is fine but I'm not sure if I should be using only hard water for the multi's? My water is very hard. Not sure exactly the number but it's very hard. What hardness is right for multi's. Or should I not be stressing about it so much as they have been living in my water now for over a week and they seem just fine.

2. Momgoose56

Momgoose56Well Known MemberMember

First, neolamprologus are fresh water fish,. Just wondering why you got live marine sand? Your hard water will be fine for the fish. They're native to the hard water lakes of Africa. Softened water contains salt. I'd stop using it if I were you. Also, it would really help you typ have a good liquid test kit like the API master test and the api gh/kh kit in the future.

3. A201

A201Well Known MemberMember

The shell dwellers of Lake Tanganyika live in water with a very elevated PH, 8.3 - 9, very alkaline. If you have access to very hard water, it would be a good idea to use it for WC's.

4. OP
    OP
    Pugwinkle

I added the live sand because the package says that it helps to increase the PH of my water. It says to use 1 lb. for every 10 gallons which is what I did. It's argonite live sand. It says on the package that it buffers ph? Is this not the right stuff?

I do have the master test kit. Have always had one on hand since starting in the fish hobby about 20 years ago however it does not have the hardness test kit in the kit. I will be buying one today in fact.

5. OP
    OP
    Pugwinkle

what hardness am I striving for?

6. Momgoose56

Momgoose56Well Known MemberMember

As @A201 said, african cichlids originate from hard, alkaline water lakes. However, domestically bred and raised Cichlids may have adapted to softer less alkaline water. A pH of around 7.6-8.4 would be fine with a general and carbonate hardness (GH/KH) of 100-400 ppm.
    Note: If your master test kit is more than a couple years old, it's probably time to replace it or you risk inaccurate test results...:nailbiting: