Water Parameters For Betta

mgarza

Reaction score
Bettas prefer softer water with p.h around 7. But I have 3 bettas, my p.h is constantly at 8.0 and hard water, when I was reading up on what to use to adjust my parameters, all the info I found said bettas can easily adust and it would be better just to leave me water alone. I've had my bettas for about a year and all is well. I get lots of bubble nest, so I know they're happy

johnbetta

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
bettas can live in a ph rangeing from 6 to 7 and like soft water and would recomend useing an indian amond leaves to keep the hardness soft and the ph around 6.5 u can use peat moss in your tank

Jorja

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So i tested the water.
Nitrate was 0
Nitrite was 0
PH was 6
GH (hardness) was 60ppm
I cant remember what the KH was

Should i be doing anything differently? (50% water was changed more than 24 hrs ago)

Plantsmaketanks

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Believe me your doing great if your nitrate levels are 0? Would like to keep myself in a nice heavily planted 5 gallon or so tank. Species specific pool style tank, few nerite snails maybe. Most water supply is neutral 7.0, should be fine in this treated for chlorine/chloromine. Remember for chloromine sometimes a bigger dose of the water treatment you use. I have tried filtering/softening water in past for a south American set-up, bit of a pain every water change. Fish should adjust to around neutral no problem.

Sarah73

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
For nitrates, it should be around 1-20 ppm. Above that is dangerous. 0 nirtrites, 0 ammonia, 1-20 nitrates, pH should be anywhere from 6-8. Temp should be 78-80.

WanhiBetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
If you want to be sure if all your levels are safe you absolutely need a test for the ammonia. Stripe tests are really inaccurate, you should buy the Api master liquid tests. Do you know about the nitrogen cycle? Your tank doesn't look cycled to me.

Plantsmaketanks

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Still trying to work out how to use forum, not great with computer's. Got me thinking that is why I put ? at the end of 0 nitrate reading. Seems a bit excessive also with 50%water change, I'm finding 1/3 works well on my set-ups at moment.

Sorry forgot you said you were a newbe, yeah make sure you have got your filter cycle working correctly, if you do or don't know the filter cycle, nitrate used to some degree by plants, is the end product (less harmful)of the filter cycle that you dilute or should say reduce level of, by doing your water changes

WanhiBetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Plantsmaketanks said:
Still trying to work out how to use forum, not great with computer's. Got me thinking that is why I put ? at the end of 0 nitrate reading. Seems a bit excessive also with 50%water change, I'm finding 1/3 works well on my set-ups at moment.
In a small tank, during cycling, the parameters can change very quickly. In my opinion, 50% is the best to ensure the safety of the fish. If the tank is less than 5g, daily of every two days.

Dch48

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
WanhiBetta said:
In a small tank, during cycling, the parameters can change very quickly. In my opinion, 50% is the best to ensure the safety of the fish. If the tank is less than 5g, daily of every two days.
During cycling, yes, but after that a weekly change of 20-25% should be enough. Just keep an eye on Nitrate levels. Ammonia and Nitrite should stay at 0 unless you add something to the tank. My 3.5 gallon is completely cycled and I have been doing one gallon changes ( 1/3 of the actual volume) every Sunday. It's working out well. I shoot to keep Nitrates at 20 or less and my Anubias Nana, Windelov Java Fern, and Marimo Moss ball help with that.

johnbetta

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
your doing really well but i would do what dch48 recomends with the water changes

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom