Water Parameters - Do you agree with this?

Marsh980

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Do you agree with this table? Is it an accurate guide I should follow when starting a new reef tank?

Attachments

saltwater60

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Looks good to me.
Only things I’d say is keep your temp on average around 80F. 84 is like the oh poop too end for a short time period in summer.
Ph keep as high as possible mine was 8.3-8.4 and consistent as possible.
alk or dKH keep on the higher end of your doing corals as they will use it up and keep your ph stable.
Only thing I see missing is phosphates keep an eye on that for algae control.

Marsh980

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thanks again, you've been a real help to me and have commented on each of my 'newbie' posts.

Phosphates is on the table (ranges from 0-0.5 ppm). I took it from a great site that i'm currently reading all the guides. Below is an example guide and on the bottom of each has recommended reading. I would recommend to any new reefers that they read the guides and check this website out. It has a great guide on a RODI unit and how it works.

Cycling a Marine Aquarium - Reef Aquarium

saltwater60

Well Known Member
Reaction score
No worries. That’s what we’re all here for.
Yes I missed phosphates we’re on there. I like the comments on the side to about frequency and optimal parameters.
I stopped the hobby for about 5 years I’m and just getting back into it so I’m excited again.
I’m doing fresh water planted but I’m trying to find space and figuring out if I have time to do a small reef tank with a goby or two and a pair of seahorses. I always wanted seahorses and never did them.
You seem to have a good plan and be doing things right. Also you’re not so concrete you won’t modify something if it needs to be. You’re also doing your own research too instead of just asking asking asking on here. People like you I have no problem helping at all. I just can’t wait for pictures!!

Marsh980

Valued Member
Reaction score
This is by far the best forum I've found online. I've been disappointed with the British forums in regards to replies, views and functionality of the forum itself.

I liked the comments too as that will really help with frequency and recommended parameters. I came across it as I was trying to find information on the frequency of water tests when cycling the tank.

Great news you've found your reefing mojo again and i look forward to seeing your new build diary (if you do one of course).

When my wife and I was at the LFS, they had seahorses and she wanted to add them to my reef tank lol. Who knows in time she may fall in love with hobby too and want a seahorse tank. I'm including her as much as i can because i believe its important to have your spouse and/or family support when running a tank. She initially was anxious that she would become a 'reef widow'

Exactly, you need to have a plan but also understand that you need to be flexible as you never know whats going to happen. I just want to be in a position that I've done my research to assist me to rectify the issues or at least have the support from you guys and/or my local LFS in place to offer help. I agree, new reefers should complete their own research and use this forum to validate any opinion they may have made.

saltwater60

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Seahorses were always my dream. Someday. I’m just too busy right now with my kids and house.

It’s great if your wife is on board. Mine was so so on my tanks. My kids liked them. They are helping me now with the fresh water tank. My wife likes fuzzy critters like rabbits. We have 5.

I too research then validate. It’s great to get a variety of options then you can pick and choose what’s best or even pieces of recommendations. Also I know I’m not the end all be all and some of my opinions and info will be taken and used but some won’t be. I’m fine with that.

Best advice I can give you is take it slow and let your ecosystem become established. Good things happen slow and bad things can happen fast. Do your research so you do t get disappointed and lose live stock. When I first started reefing there was none of this available. That was 20 years ago now. To have this info at my finger tips 20 years ago would have saved me a lot of headaches and $$. It’s great to be able to walk into a shop and say hey I like this fish let me google it to see if it will fit into my system.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom