Water Parameters Do Not Make Sense.

TheFishmonger

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hello,

Something fishy is going on in my aquarium, and it's not the fish. I have 5 Black Ruby Barbs in there and it's a 20 gallons tank. I also have about 10 plants with 5-6 stems each. Today's readings.

Suposedly I am cycled because I have 0 across the board for 3 weeks now and fast-growing plants, without ferts and root tabs.

Today's readings.

0.50 ppm Ammonia, 0 Nitrite, between 0-5 ppm Nitrate, pH under 6? or 6, high pH 8.8.

Temperature, maybe 75 F, I have the thermometer in the nano tank.

Fish are behaving just fine. I don't know about the bacteria, they might have gone bananas if the pH is 6.0, but the high pH is 8.4. So I don't know what to make of this.

I am thinking about doing a water change and adding tetra safestart again. I have the bottle for about 1/2 a month now. Should I use it again? I am thinking about rinsing the filter pads and changing the water and wait for tomorrow or day after to add safe start again. I am supposed to be cycled and the tank looks like a jungle with all the plant growth.

Oh and I added 6 bladder snails, but I think most of them died which is where I think the 0.50 ppm ammonia spike is comming from. I only see 1 snail and that snail is in a bad condition. Like it's barely clinging onto life. Nothing like the thriving parasite bladder snails in my 5.5 gallons from where it came from. I think it's just the barbs making their lives miserable, the barbs themselves are quite active and happy.

Last edited:

TheFishmonger

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
When do the testing chemicals expire?
2024. It was a false alarm. I didn't properly clean the test tubes when I measured pH. Those API tubes break so easily so I am down to 2 tubes. The pH is between 6.6-7.2. But still I have that ammonia spike which perplexes me. I will do a 1.5 gallon water change with old standing water that was treated a week ago, then increase the temperature to 80F and add more safe start. I'll wait an other week, maybe the bacteria are dying because of my airconditioner that cools down the aquarium in the room.

Top Bottom