Water Parameters Advice Please. Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by mgillett88, May 20, 2019.

1. mgillett88 Valued Member Member

Hey all. Need some helpful advice from fellow fishkeepers.

We lost a few fish a couple of weeks ago due to an ammonia strike. Since this was recognised we have been carrying out at least one water change per day, sometimes two. Varying from 20-40 litres out. (80 litre tank).
    We have been using Melafix and Seacham Prime for the last week but we still can’t get ammonia to read 0. And last few days the Nitrite keeps fluctuating between Blue and light purple.
    The fish behaviour all seems normal, all snails are in the water and love plants are thriving.
    I’m literally lost for ideas. We got a new gravel cleaner yesterday and noticed the aqua soil is being sucked up it and yesterday left the tank cloudy for a short while. Could this be my problem?
    And if so what would be the best, least stressful for the fish to move gravel out the way and take aqua soil out?
    If that’s the route we need to go down, is it safe to plant the aquarium plants in small terracotta plant pots with aqua soil and gravel in it.

2. Seasoldier Well Known Member Member

Hi, I'm assuming you cycled the tank originally so it looks like for some reason maybe the cycle has crashed, how long has the tank been running for? What fish do you have in it? How often & how much are you feeding? Looking at the test vials I noted that two of them have over 5mls in them & one has less this will skew the results & give you false readings so please run the tests again with exactly 5mls in each tube & let us know the results. I don't think the aquasoil is the problem it's made to be fish safe but when gravel vaccing only go lightly over the gravel to pick up uneaten food, don't dig down too deep with it.

3. mgillett88 Valued Member Member

That’s one I’ve just done about 4 hours after a water CX. I fill with 5ml of tank water on each tube. The two are higher because of the drops of Ammonia and Nitrate bottles.
    Thinking maybe another partial water change.
    The tank wasn’t completely cycled but last week it appeared to be approaching the end.

They are fed once a day. At present I have a couple of Harlequin Rasbora’s, 3 Dwarf Neon Rainbows, 3 panda Cory’s and 6 WCCM along with a few nerite snails.

4. Seasoldier Well Known Member Member

Hi again, those tests look pretty good Ph of 7 or just over which is good for most if not all captive bred fish, ammonia 0 - 0.25 & nitrite 0 - 0.25 sometimes you can never get zero on ammonia & nitrite but yours isn't high enough to kill your fish. What were the fish that died? & what temperature do you have the tank at?

5. mgillett88 Valued Member Member

Lost a Harlequin Rasbora (freak accident as it managed to jump out) one Dwarf Neon Rainbow and 2 panda Cory’s. not sure what happened to the rainbow but the pandas was due to High ammonia.
    Tank temperature was 24 degrees C, but have since lowered that to 22 degrees.

6. Seasoldier Well Known Member Member

OK so 24 or 22 is good for all your fish types so no problems there, I think you've just been unlucky it happens sometimes & you never know exactly why, this last few weeks I lost a golden gourami, a guppy, a McCulloch rainbow & a rosy barb & my water is clean & parameters spot on, no signs of disease but a rosy that got injured & I thought would die has healed up & is doing fine (minus some scales), just doesn't make sense sometimes.

7. mgillett88 Valued Member Member

Kinda glad you said that. Planning on getting some panda friends to replace the ones I’ve lost. There entertaining to watch. Just going to keep an eye on water over next day or so and carry out any water tests as required.
    Fairly new at this and was trying to make sure everything was perfect lol

8. Seasoldier Well Known Member Member

Yeah cory's are great fish & so many different types, the only thing I'd advise about them is make sure your gravel substrate isn't to sharp or it can damage their barbels, they do prefer sand or very smooth small gravel like pea gravel.

9. mgillett88 Valued Member Member

Random question. You don’t happen to keep Nerite snails at all? Or have had experience with?

10. Morpheus1967 Well Known Member Member

What are you using Melafix for?

11. mgillett88 Valued Member Member

Was advised to use it after ammonia killed two of my Cory’s. was to help the surviving 3 a little bit as two of them weren’t very active for a couple of says after.