Water Parameter Readings - Need Help!

1. Manuel1223

Manuel1223 Valued Member Member

Okay everyone here are my readings
    Ph. Just under 7.6
    Ammonia about .50 ppm
    Nitrate is about 5.0
    Nitrite closer to 0 ppm

it's been a week since set up and haven't done a water change. What should I do?
    I have 30 gal. With fish in. I did so because of a shop recommendation.....I wish I wouldn't have but here we are.
    20170730_061057.jpg

2. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

What fish do you have in it? Did you add pre-cycled media or bottled bacteria products or anything like that? Because unless you're extremely light on stock it looks as though your tank may be cycled but at only a week old I'd be surprised if you had enough bacteria to take care of both ammonia and nitrites. Are you absolutely sure you did the tests correctly?

3. OP
    OP
    Manuel1223

I followed the test perfectly. I used Api quick start and ultimate water conditioner. I have 3 red eye tetras and just recently put 4 black Molly's. I just listened to the shop that I got everything from but I'm starting to realize that research is more important.
    Also high ph tested at about 7.4

4. Aquaphobia

Well, keep testing! Do water changes if your ammonia + nitrites is 1ppm or more and dose water conditioner for the whole tank volume every day to protect your fish.

5. OP
    OP
    Manuel1223

Sounds good thank you

6. OP
    OP
    Manuel1223

New results. Any advice
    Ammonia is at .5 by the way? 20170801_082644.jpg

7. Aquaphobia

If no nitrites yet then just dose the entire tank with Prime. That will be just over 1/2 capful for a 30 gallon ;)

8. OP
    OP
    Manuel1223

Okay perfect. I do that until nitrates show? Should i put prime in the moring and test at night?

9. Aquaphobia

And you have zero ammonia and zero nitrites, yes. You could dose the Prime that way if it works for you, sure!