Water ok for crystal shrimp?

Cerberusfish

Measured on API strip because I didnt want to use my expensive reef tank test kits

My alkalinity is about 80-120 ppm (around 4-6 kh)
Gh is about 60 ppm (around 3.35 dgh)

I know crystal shrimp would prefer slightly lower alk than this on average, and I've read they'd like ightly higher calcium. I have very soft tap water and buffer the tank with crushed coral down in the sump. My PH stays pretty stable around 6.8. I've got 10 neon tetras, a honey gourami whose moving to a different tank, a clown pleco who I'm growing out until he goes into my 30 gallon, and some snails. Heavily planted with a carpet. CO2, Tons and tons of hiding places in the hardscape. Do you think these parameters will be able to sustain some of these guys and let them breed? I'd love to keep these guys as I'm getting more into shrimp. But I dont have a ton of experience with shrimp specifically, just fish and plants so I'd love some help.

Bettybrown922

I honestly don't know a whole lot about crystal shrimp. I've only ever kept beginner-level shrimp. I've yet to feel confident enough to go up to the intermediate-level. I do know that they are pretty sensitive compared to the neocaridina shrimp or amano shrimp. Also, it's important that it's a peaceful tank, as they are pretty easy prey. But, it sounds like you're only going to have neon tetras with the crystal shrimp & that is a good combination for peace.
Good luck - they're gorgeous little creatures!

Upvote 0

Cerberusfish

I honestly don't know a whole lot about crystal shrimp. I've only ever kept beginner-level shrimp. I've yet to feel confident enough to go up to the intermediate-level. I do know that they are pretty sensitive compared to the neocaridina shrimp or amano shrimp. Also, it's important that it's a peaceful tank, as they are pretty easy prey. But, it sounds like you're only going to have neon tetras with the crystal shrimp & that is a good combination for peace.
Good luck - they're gorgeous little creatures!
Well I've also got some pygmy Cory's in my 30 that I'm going to move over into the 14 gallon with the tetras. But they should be an issue. Only other fish on adding are going to be nothing to worry about. Thanks for the well wishes!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Jack B Nimble
Replies
Views
Sarah73
Replies
Views
Algonquin
Replies