Water Not As Clean As I'd Like

1. ZomZom

ZomZom Valued Member Member

The water in my 46 Gallon Bowfront tank is OK, but not crystal-clear like it is in my 12 Gallon NanoCube. The NanoCube is really designed for salt water and has massive flow in comparison, plus it's a much smaller tank. Am I being unrealistic in hoping for the same clarity in the larger tank?

2. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

not at all being unrealistic... ...on the bigger tanks, at least in mine, i have to run fresh carbon every 3 weeks or up my water changes ....i went with the carbon and it does wonders.....I still have to do water changes but not as often ...and I do change out the carbon every 3 weeks ...whats the gph on your canister for the 46g tank? you dont have large fish so im wondering if its big enough for the tank size....overfeeding wont help either..(i do that way to often!!)

3. OP
    OP
    ZomZom

ZomZom Valued Member Member

Thanks for the carbon tip, Shawnie. I started out using charcoal but stopped. I think I'll give it another go with more frequent media changes. My filter is a C-220 canister filter (220 GPH) which is rated for a 55 gallon tank.

4. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

sounds like enough gph with the type of fish you are keeping..they dont have a huge bioload.....dont change the media at all ..just rinse it once a month or ever other (low bioload doesnt need a monthly rinsing) but just change out your carbon every 3 weeks....its expensive but I feel its part of the hobby for me...and I buy the bags that you can refill on your own and buy the carbon by the box full...now and then ill splurge and buy the bags all filled and just replace them in my canister...you can also add more filter floss in the canisters...I use pillow stuffing from walmart that is 100% polyester with no dyes, perfumes etc...you can get a HUGE bag for like $4-5 and it lasts forever....good luck!

5. p

patzee Valued Member Member

I tend to agree with Shawnie about the carbon. Since I started using it all my tanks are crystal clear.