Water Movement

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Dcchillin, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Dcchillin

Dcchillin Valued Member Member

So I think i might have too much water movement in my 20 high. I have a HOB 20g filter on one side and an airstone at the bottom of the other. You can see the water flowing from the stone into the current of the filter then down to the front and across the bottom back to the air stone. It seems like my neon tetras have to actively swim to stay stationary, but they can move through it when they want to eat. Even my new dwarf gourami seems to put in a bit of effort.

I mean its nice to have the water turning over well and im sure there is plenty of oxygen, which is good because i dose liquid ferts and liquid co2 (says its safe still i worry), but is there such a thing as too much? If so, what should i look for?

2. C

Chaory Valued Member Member

Airstone isn't needed if there's enough oxygen for the fishes that you are keeping. The only fishes that I know of, that needs a lot more than the regulars, are goldfish.

3. AllieSten

AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

I would remove the airstone. What is the brand of filter you have? You may be able to baffle it to decrease the current also.

4. MikeRad89

MikeRad89 Well Known Member Member

Neons are from mountain tributaries and streams with pretty significant flow. They're at home with some current.

I wouldn't make any changes.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice