Water looks cloudy from the side of the tank

diamonfingers

So I have a canister filter with all types of filter media, even chemi-pure and 5 micron filter pad. Its pretty clear from the front side but if you look at it from the side its a bit cloudy like it has high concentration of salt especially if I stir the sand. Can I get it to be even cleaner or this is as clean as it gets any way? Am I over obsessing? I am not sure how fine those sand particles are, my filter has been running for about a month now with few water changes. I do not think I can go for 1 micron filter on a fish tank.

BigManAquatics

May just be a build-up of biofilm on that side panel. Try a scrub, see if it gets clearer

GlennO

Is the tank new? Still cycling? Sounds like a slight bacterial haze that should clear up in time.

jtjgg

what size tank? what canister? do you gravel vac?

i believe higher turnover rate helps. and also, substrate traps a lot of debris.

i have a 75g, 4' long, the water is clear from the side. it has a pair of Tidal 110 (450gph x2) and a 29g sump with about 300 gph water pump. 1200 gph / 95g = 13x turnover rate. its also barebottom except for a few handfuls of river rocks and some silk plants.

the Tidal 110s have course foam, polyfill, matrix, purigen, matrix. the 29g sump only has polyfill. the polyfill from all 3 filters is very dirty every week.

diamonfingers

thank everyone!

Is the tank new? Still cycling? Sounds like a slight bacterial haze that should clear up in time.

Tank is about 1-2 month old but i am sure its cycled because because I have 0 nitrite and some nitrate. No ammonia test kit.

side question, would you happen to know if use water conditioner like Easy-Life actually benefits the water or it clashes with using chemical media because I do have ChemiPure in there. They promise all sorts of magically stuff happening if you use their conditioner.

what size tank? what canister? do you gravel vac?

i believe higher turnover rate helps. and also, substrate traps a lot of debris.

i have a 75g, 4' long, the water is clear from the side. it has a pair of Tidal 110 (450gph x2) and a 29g sump with about 300 gph water pump. 1200 gph / 95g = 13x turnover rate. its also barebottom except for a few handfuls of river rocks and some silk plants.

the Tidal 110s have course foam, polyfill, matrix, purigen, matrix. the 29g sump only has polyfill. the polyfill from all 3 filters is very dirty every week.

tank is around 25-29G , EHEIM PRO 350 canister, I have a cheap hose that works like gravel vac but I failed to do the gravel vac pinching technique as it either sucks sand or pulls nothing out.

13x turnover is insane!:emoji_scream: I thought 4x is enough. From what I understood from many people that a simple sponge filter or HOB is more than enough to filter most small to medium tanks. Yours is of course much larger. Heck I heard of people that do not run a filter at all, just search for no filter or no water change tanks on youtube. (assuming mini fish and understocked)

GlennO

side question, would you happen to know if use water conditioner like Easy-Life actually benefits the water or it clashes with using chemical media because I do have ChemiPure in there. They promise all sorts of magically stuff happening if you use their conditioner.
I don't know what's in either of those products or if they would clash. You shouldn't need to be adding clarifiers though, were you getting the haze before adding them?

Your filtration is adequate. It's a relatively new tank, it can take some time to balance out and become crystal clear and adding different treatments at this stage may not be helpful.

Cherryshrimp420

Stop stirring the sand. It's just triggering a small bacterial bloom.

jtjgg

i concur, its a new tank with free swimming/floating bacteria.

diamonfingers

I don't know what's in either of those products or if they would clash. You shouldn't need to be adding clarifiers though, were you getting the haze before adding them?

Your filtration is adequate. It's a relatively new tank, it can take some time to balance out and become crystal clear and adding different treatments at this stage may not be helpful.

the haze is only when the sand is stirred , it has all kinds of biofilm and mulm and everything else you can imagine. I am thinking of getting a HOB filter with 5 micron pad and turn it to maximum flow as I stirred the sand this way it will suck all the detritus flowing in the water as I have failed to clean the sand using the gravel vacuum pinch method

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
LawSkool
Replies
Views
Evilnewbie
  • Question
Replies
Views
NickNack