Water line below the top trim edge or right to the top ???

chughes737

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've seen various tanks some with water a couple inches below the edge of the top edge trI'm and others right up to the line where no water edge is present...is there any advantage one way or the other bio wise or is purely cosmetic or lack of water replentishment

Just curious

Personally I prefer mine as full as I can get it all the time, hate seeing the water line

brokenwing

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I'm in your shoes I hate seeing the water line. I keep mine full as well. every week you do lose some from evaparoation, but I never top it off. I just wait till its time for my water change to fill it back up again.

fishingman001

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I believe it depends on the filter. Some filters need the water at a certain point to create bubbles for aeration. I fill mine to the top.

kloseo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I fill mine as well but just to the line so that the filters aerate the water and keep a nice current at the water surface

funkman262

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If you're running a sump, you'd probably want to run the surface a little low so if the overflow failed, there would be enough room in the display tank for the return pump to empty its chamber without flooding the display tank.

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I keep mine as full as possible. I HATE seeing the water line. some people keep it low due to having fish that are prone to jumping. If I didn't have my cutouts for my filter and heater wire done so precisely I would keep mine lower so my rainbows couldn't jump.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

Not a fan of the water line here either. That's one reason I like my wet/dry filter system so much, it doesn't allow it. I never have to top off my tank (265g) but I do have to top off the tide pool area of the wet/dry.

Ken

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I run mine about 1 inch below the rim, for two reasons mainly:

1) I have cover glass, and like to leave a little space between the cover glass and water surface to allow for gas exchange.
2) It allows me a little room so the tank doesn't overflow when I stick my hand in for water changes lol.

I'd much rather being able to run it full to the rI'm though.

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I keep my water level just above the level of the hood (My hood comes down over the top of the tank) so I can't see it!

Also I have danios so when I remove the hood, if they decide to jump then at least the water is not flush with the top of the glass. I have the best of both worlds, no water line visible, but still some leeway of a fish decides to go suicidal!

In my divided betta tank, the level is lower to prevent jumping over the divider. Fish safety is more important than aesthetics in this case!

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads