Water Lily From Petco Questions

Jack B Nimble

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I put mine in a oil pan filled with kitty litter put in a couple of root tabs and your good. The key is how you plant is and which way facing out from a side and the roots down. Google it you will find insight on YouTube. I cannot post links I believe or I would help.

I put mine in a oil pan filled with kitty litter put in a couple of root tabs and your good. The key is how you plant is and which way facing out from a side and the roots down. Google it you will find insight on YouTube. I cannot post links I believe or I would help.
Non clumping non scented kitty litter which is basically monmorilite clay.

If in small tank just ensure good movable substrate not near rocks or heavy pebbles.

Reactions: AJE

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I just dropped mine in. I have a barebottom tank. It's interesting seeing the root system.

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
They will float for a while and maybe take all the way up to 3 weeks before sprouting (be patient). They can be left alone and do not have to be buried (once they root they normally sink lower in the tank).

OP
Frankieflowaz

Frankieflowaz

Valued Member
Reaction score
They will float for a while and maybe take all the way up to 3 weeks before sprouting (be patient). They can be left alone and do not have to be buried (once they root they normally sink lower in the tank).
My shy rainbow cichlid only fish in tank was pecking at it so I took them out

Last edited:

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My first was pecking at it so I took them out
Your fish will probably investigate anything you put into the tank. Rainbow cichlids generally don't eat plants, but you never know what cichlids will do. A batch of my angelfish started ripping out stem plants and pecking at the new growth. Is he starting to come out more? But yeah, if you let the leaves create Lily pads on the surface and your fish doesn't bother with them, they will make good cover. I also really like water lettuce for creating shade. If they get blown around and submerged by the filter output, you can make a little corral with straws or airline tubing. I would try sending you water lettuce, I always have too much, I just live in Canada and don't know about shipping

You can start them in a vase or even a bowl, that way they are less interesting when they go back into the tank. (As long as your fish aren't voracious plant eaters)
Most bulb plants are fairly forgiving.
This is what I'd do to get it started. Great idea!

Last edited:
OP
Frankieflowaz

Frankieflowaz

Valued Member
Reaction score
If i do that how do i feed the plants i rather use ammonia fron fish poo n pee then use any chemicals that could harm my fish
You can start them in a vase or even a bowl, that way they are less interesting when they go back into the tank. (As long as your fish aren't voracious plant eaters)
Most bulb plants are fairly forgiving.
Your fish will probably investigate anything you put into the tank. Rainbow cichlids generally don't eat plants, but you never know what cichlids will do. A batch of my angelfish started ripping out stem plants and pecking at the new growth. Is he starting to come out more? But yeah, if you let the leaves create Lily pads on the surface and your fish doesn't bother with them, they will make good cover. I also really like water lettuce for creating shade. If they get blown around and submerged by the filter output, you can make a little corral with straws or airline tubing. I would try sending you water lettuce, I always have too much, I just live in Canada and don't know about shipping

This is what I'd do to get it started. Great idea!
Yeah would be awesome to get some lettuce but in in usa NC n would prob cost a good bit

Last edited by a moderator:

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If i do that how do i feed the plants i rather use ammonia fron fish poo n pee then use any chemicals that could harm my fish
You do water changes, dwarf lily are very forgiving and normally feed off the bulb for the most part (after sprouted you'd move it to the tank to use up the nutrients the fish put into the water).

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah would be awesome to get some lettuce but in in usa NC n would prob cost a good bit
Are they restricted? I always have too much. I live in Canada though, so idk how to ship. But you could have them lol.

So i use chemicals to grow it till it sproits some?? What do i use to grow it
No no chemicals needed. It feeds off the bulb at the start. Then when you transfer, it can feed of the fish poop. You could put a small layer of topsoil on the bottom of the vase and a cap of sand if you want.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike406

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Would be my 1st plant ever i dont want to plant under gravel i have them floating in top is that Okay back said it was? Willt his help with shade and what else? ThanksView attachment 547379

@Islandvic @Feohw
Be watchful of these bulbs bought in big name pet stores Often they have been sitting on the shelf bone dry for so long that they are dead Hold onto your receipt and if you dont see active growth in 2 to 3 weeks return for a refund

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Be watchful of these bulbs bought in big name pet stores Often they have been sitting on the shelf bone dry for so long that they are dead Hold onto your receipt and if you dont see active growth in 2 to 3 weeks return for a refund
Growth chances are around 50/50, with some sprouting later (after 3 weeks) and some sooner (within 1 week), lilies take longer than aponogeton bulbs or onion bulbs.

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
In my tank i dont have any sand just gravel. Do iw ait for it to prout befor i try it in tank or when it starts rooting
If your fish is messing too much with it, I think I'd get it going in another container first.

I didn't know what to do with an Amazon sword the Petsmart girl gave me instead of the red rubin I wanted, so I just planted in my fish transport box with a layer of soil and ugly gravel at the patio door for natural light.

Something like this maybe?
1555544994315219746680.jpg
Sorry took the pic with my tablet, it's not great.

OP
Frankieflowaz

Frankieflowaz

Valued Member
Reaction score
I dont havd any soil tho :/ wouldnt soil make a tank muddy n hard to clean the gravel? I dont wanna take fish out and rescape it all

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
No it's just a container with a plant! No live critters. No filter, not cycled, nothing. I just used soil from a potted houseplant I just bought. I set it up last night.

The gravel holds it down. I won't be vacuuming and only adding minerals. The dirt is enough fertilizer.

When I figure out where to put it, I will dismantle my container and replant in a tank.

Does this pic give a better idea?
1555549099625727617283.jpg

Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom