Water level

Jasonwalters

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Can any one answer this
Why has so many of you have your water level lower than tank heights ?
Is there a reason for this ?
obviously we can’t feel to the top but so many photos the water is left much lower .

oldsalt777

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Jasonwalters said:
Can any one answer this
Why has so many of you have your water level lower than tank heights ?
Is there a reason for this ?
obviously we can’t feel to the top but so many photos the water is left much lower .
Hello Jason...

Filtration has something to do with the water level. If you use an internal filter, you can't typically fill the tank to the top. Otherwise, you'd want to fill the tank all the way to the top. Typically, you have some water that's lost to evaporation. If someone took a picture of their tank and it appeared the water level wasn't all the way to the top of the tank, there could have been some evaporation.

Old

iamgoldfish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
yeah i think you're supposed to leave at least 3 cm

Jasonwalters

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks
I have 2 internal filters as I live in 1st floor flat and worry about external leaking and flooding down stairs
The outlet just skims the top to cause ripple on top the other is set to outlet at bottom of tank
Do you think I should lower the water or raise the outlet so it drops into the water ?
thanks for your advise

iamgoldfish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Doing both would make a good difference- definitely take a little water out

Jasonwalters

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks for your advise

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I keep all of my tanks filled up to where the bottom of the HOB is in the water. I don't care to listen to the waterfall effect when the water level is lowered. I think a lot of it has to do with personal preference.

JettsPapa

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
mattgirl said:
I keep all of my tanks filled up to where the bottom of the HOB is in the water. I don't care to listen to the waterfall effect when the water level is lowered. I think a lot of it has to do with personal preference.
I fill mine so that the top of the water is hidden behind the black trim. No reason other than seeing the top of the water bothers me.

A201

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Be a good idea for those with HOB filters to keep water levels maxed.
During power outages, certain HOBs, especially AC's, sometimes won't reboot when the power returns, if the water level dips a little too low.

Jasonwalters

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
mattgirl said:
I agree I don’t want water fall effect noise
Thanks

JettsPapa said:
I fill mine so that the top of the water is hidden behind the black trim. No reason other than seeing the top of the water bothers me.
Me too I get a rippling light effect across the living room floor if the water level to low
I was just concerned I was doing harm to fish having to high

Donthemon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I like mine above the black frame also. I noticed tanks that leave it lower have stained / dirty glass at the waterline like calcium buildup.

Jasonwalters

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Totally agree with you
Higher the better in my opinion as long as it don’t affect the quality of water

Tez

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I've had mine just past the black rim and it was going underneath the plastic frame of the filter system at the back and causing a bubble blockage causing a pop now and again, today it was lowered down half an inch lower the black rim and bingo it stopped it, my fish love it with the two filter systems going and my water was clear before hand but now it's crystal clear :;banana1

A201 said:
During power outages, certain HOBs, especially AC's, sometimes won't reboot when the power returns, if the water level dips a little too low.
My hubby is going to test a car battery :hilarious: on a spare fluval filter i have to see if it works, incase we have a power cut ;)

saltwater60

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I fill mine up as high as it can go to where it’s just touching the center brace.
It would cause trouble with my filter but I put some composite shims under the HOB filter and it has raised my filter up just high enough to get it right.

Mike999

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A201 said:
Absolutely agree. It irks me after this many decades that Hagen hasn't tweaked the AquaClear to not be so sensitive to water levels. Of course we compensate by making sure the level is sufficiently high. The saving grace is they are workhorses and reasonably priced.

Other hob brands i have tried have not been so sensitive to a precise water level, such as the older Tetra Whispers.

I'll likely try Seachem Tidal when the time comes.

Tez

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Well i've got mine like this and i've noticed my fish are a lot more active and as long as my fish are thriving and not hearing pop every so often, that's all that counts in my eyes but it's everyone to their own i say :)

16-1-20.jpg

Sheryl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
saltwater60 said:
I fill mine up as high as it can go to where it’s just touching the center brace.
It would cause trouble with my filter but I put some composite shims under the HOB filter and it has raised my filter up just high enough to get it right.
I did that, too, on some of my tanks, to raise the filters to give more water movement and bubbles. I don't mind the water fall sound.

Jasonwalters said:
Totally agree with you
Higher the better in my opinion as long as it don’t affect the quality of water

Sheryl said:
I did that, too, on some of my tanks, to raise the filters to give more water movement and bubbles. I don't mind the water fall sound.
I like the level high. I think it looks better and gives fish more "home". LOL

Tez

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Sheryl said:
I like the level high. I think it looks better and gives fish more "home". LOL
Hi Sheryl, if i have mine to the level the water comes nearly on top of the lights, good job i have them dimmed but with the small amount took out my fish have come even more active. :)

CHJ

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A201 said:
Yeah that is the gamble I always run and I did lose a HOB to it siphoning back into the tank and then burning out dry when the power came back on.

I let my cory tanks evaporate about 2 to 3 inches down before refilling with RO. This way when I add water I get more cories.
Unfortunately this has built a bad habit so I sometimes let other tanks that do not contain cories get low.
I guess the first is also a bad habit as I should just be running changes everyday to force breeding.

OK I accept it, I'm lazy.

Tez

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
CHJ said:
OK I accept it, I'm lazy.
Everyone to their own CHJ ...i have my hubby keep telling me to ease up on the cleaning of mine :rolleyes:

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom