Water Level To Prevent Jumping

kcisco71

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I know I read somewhere on a thread about needing to lower the water level for bettas so they don't jump out. The lid on our tank has openings around the filter that I don't know if they are big enough for a betta to jump out, but it sounds like it's a possibility. How many inches should I leave at the top of the tank generally?

CichlidJynx

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
kcisco71 said:
I know I read somewhere on a thread about needing to lower the water level for bettas so they don't jump out. The lid on our tank has openings around the filter that I don't know if they are big enough for a betta to jump out, but it sounds like it's a possibility. How many inches should I leave at the top of the tank generally?
I always kept my water levels at trI'm height and never had an issue, if your worried they should only be able to jump 2-3 inches. There’s a video on YouTube some did testing his betta with a bloodworm as motivation

juniperlea

Well Known
Reaction score
Run to the craft store and pick up some plastic mesh canvas. You can cut and tape it around filters, etc. Works really well.

andy305mia

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would say minimum 3 inches. I have never had a betta jump on me but several other types of fish. It's not a matter of if but when. Open tops are nice but unless you have the water like 3-4 inches away from the top, expect to find some dead fish one day. They get spooked and jump, I suggest you put a lid on your tank. Of course some fish are more jumpers than others, but I've had corys jump out before. Good luck

OP
kcisco71

kcisco71

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for the info. We do have a lid on the tank - it just had some open space around the filter.

Addictedtobettas

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I had a Betta who made it just over 3 inches through a 1"x3" hole in the lid, in the dark. Wasn't his smartest move.

And I have a female Betta now who has jumped over 5 inches to bite my arm and propel herself out of the tank - twice. She went from a 3 inch jump to nearly 6 inches in 2 days. So she goes in a container when I clean out her tank now, with a lid.

If the Betta WANTS to jump, they can figure it out through incredible odds.

sinned4g63

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I've had a total of 8 bettas and 5 of them are jumpers. 2 of them unfortunately only got the opportunity to jump once and you wouldn't believe the holes they made it through. Of the remaining 3 "jumpers" one eventually made it out of a split in the glass lid and was never found. Chances are my cats got a small treat that night..

The last 2 are still with me today. The female of the pair is named Shark Bait having jumped into the filter a total of 3 times in 1 week (that's her record) and the male named Houdini. That guy likes to scare me.. I've found him above the water line, still in the tank thankfully, resting on top of a large water lettuce plant which I had to wiggle to get him off of and back into the water. Another time he had jumped into the back compartment of my Flex where the filter pump is, then jumped again into the center compartment on top of them foam filter media where I had to lift it up and plop him back in. Wasn't sure exactly how he managed that so I took the lid and wrapped it in plastic wrap thinking it would close the gap in the hood and above the compartment walls. I was wrong. Came home one day after work and he was nowhere to be seen. As I was desperately searching the tank I saw what appeared to be a large water drop on the plastic. I lifted the lid and there he was INSIDE THE PLASTIC.

Females tank is now covered with plastic wrap and foil for odd shaped gaps and foam filter media stuffed where the plastic and foil won't work. The males in a 20 gallon long with 2 squares of glass cut specific to the tank and just enough of an opening made by cutting the corners off to fit the airline and heater cable and nothing more. My rule of thumb for them became "if your pinky tip starts to fit, cover it". Take no chances.

Mandy627

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
kcisco71 said:
Thanks for the info. We do have a lid on the tank - it just had some open space around the filter.
If you have extra sponge filter blocks you can cut those and stuff them in holes to plug them up, I did that to keep my eel in the tank. The sponges last a long time and are easy to clean off if they accumulate grime.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom