Water level switches

papap
I'm think of using a 10 gallon aquarium to make a sump. I am alittle worried about overflows(on to the floor). I'm think I could install a low level switch in the overflow box to shut the sump pump off if something happens that your overflow box stops working. This would stop the pump from over filling the aquarium right? Has anyone else tried this before??

Slug
Well you need to be worried about the tank and sump. Mainly the sump, because of gravity and siphons...that's where the water is going in a power failure. Should work with a switch but those could possibly fail.

I think the safer way would also to account for flooding beforehand. Don't count a 10gal as 10gals of water. Fill it 1/2-3/4 up with sump baffles installed so that when the power goes off, there is room for water to drain into the sump if none is getting pumped out. Should stop once water can't get into the overflow and finishes draining what's in the pipes.

Also drill a small hole or two in the return line underwater (1/2" or so?) so that when that hole breaks air, as the aquarium drains the siphon breaks on the return and water no longer drains out.

In a power failure your overflow and return lines are both dumping back into the tank because of the siphon, so account for that as well.

The switch should work with the power on, just giving you a few other things to think about as far as flooding goes.

papap
I knew about the other things. Was just wondering if something happened to your overflow box and the pump pumped all the water from the sump into the tank. I figured by installing a switch in the overflow box. If something happen to where you where not getting any water from the tank to the sump the sump pump would not over fill the aquarium. Does this make sense??????????

Slug
I would assume it works. Though depending on your pump once its out of water it won't pump anymore. You could pair the switch with putting the pump on a small stand in your sump, so it stops pumping water faster if you water level drops?

Latest threads

Top Bottom