10 Gallon Tank water level question

john thomas
hopefully this will be my last question for all you great people.
10 gal reef tank, just now have live rock in. sg is 1.026.
my question is... my water test kit does not show exact readings for all tests and I like to know what each should read.
so when I take a reading what should the levels read for an ideal tank?

ie/ ph , alk , nh3/nh4+ , no2 , no3

and lastly, when I do a 10% water change weekly, should I mix the water/salt in a separate container and measure the sg it that container before I put it in?

thank you again! john

travie
john thomas said:
hopefully this will be my last question for all you great people.
10 gal reef tank, just now have live rock in. sg is 1.026.
my question is... my water test kit does not show exact readings for all tests and I like to know what each should read.
so when I take a reading what should the levels read for an ideal tank?

ie/ ph , alk , nh3/nh4+ , no2 , no3

and lastly, when I do a 10% water change weekly, should I mix the water/salt in a separate container and measure the sg it that container before I put it in?

thank you again! john
No need for this to be your last question. pH should read between 8.0 to 8.4 Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate as low as possible (less then 5). I can't remember at the moment for alkalinity.

Add salt to water in a separate container. Measure salinity. When the salinity matches your tanks salinity, add it to your tank. I personally like to mix my Saltwater hours before I plan to add it to my tank, to make sure it is good, mixed, and aerated.

EDIT: Here is a good link with all the level information you requested.

au01st
Yeah, I try to have my water mixing for at least 12 hours before I add it to the tank as freshly mixed water can be caustic and dangerous for the fish. I try to keep my S.G. at 1.025. Whatever container you're mixing in, make sure it also has a heater in it as most hydrometers are accurate at 75 degrees.

john thomas
thank you, but I can not access the link... do you have a web adress that I can go to directly?

travie
Try that. If that doesn't work. I will be mad. It has all the information you are asking about.

john thomas
thanks

thanks travie, that's what I was looking for!

john thomas
thanks travie! that's what I was looking for!
btw, my live rock is doing great, & I have a small starfish that took a ride on it.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom