Water level and Fancy Goldfish. Question

Discussion in 'Goldfish' started by hollie1505, Aug 6, 2014.

1. hollie1505

hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

I have been hearing a lot lately about water level and fancy goldfish, namely Ranchus and Lionheads and their water level being 6" or lower whilst they are juveniles.

I have an 85G tank with 3 Fancies in (Fantail, Oranda, Ryukin) two of which are juvies, the Fantail is just about in between juvie and adult size and I have a QT with 2 juvie Ranchus.

The water line in the 25G QT is about 8" and the Ranchus are 2" and about 3mos. The water line in the 85G however, is about 15" at the moment (I planned to slowly increase it to max capacity as I saw them getting used to the depth and keeping an eye on their swimming).

I am looking for general advice and I know a lot of you have ECR's and this is where you have the information from so if you have anything you can help me with here, I'd be very grateful!

My question really is if the Ranchus have no problems swimming against the current (in the 25G the current is much stronger than in the 85G) and spend a lot of their time swimming around the tank in it's entirety, should I keep the water level low? Or even reduce it to 6"?

I am interested to hear from you and look forward to any advice.

Thanks for in advance for any advice :) x

(ps. I would like to throw a couple of names out there and see what your experience is; millca poeticinjustices HappyKnitter Rivieraneo I know you all have Ranchu experience!)

2. HappyKnitter

HappyKnitter Valued Member Member

I think it depends how they were raised. Tubs , tanks . Also filtration. My first 3 guys they were all under 2 inches came from petsmart and before that I think Florida. I had them in a ten gal then a 29 gal. But my 4 year old ranchu girls came from a 220 gal tank so they had to get use to a lower water level. Sometimes they jump to get air and I have water everywhere.

3. OP
    OP
    hollie1505

Thanks. I was worried it would impede their development or affect them negatively. The Chu's are babies at 3mos so I didn't want to throw them in deep water if you weren't supposed to! :) xx

4. Rivieraneo

Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

Hi Hollie, depth helps shape tail tuck and less depth assists with future swim bladder disorders. This applies to ranchu fry and young ranchus, water temp also plays a role. I try to keep my tanks current minimal as they are rather clumsy swimmers.

5. OP
    OP
    hollie1505

Would you suggest growing the baby Ranchus in their QT until they grow some more or should I add them to the main tank and reduce its water line? Thanks guys cx

6. millca

millca Valued Member Member

Hi hollie1505,

Everything I'm learning about ranchu fry raising is coming from these following sources:

• East Coast Ranchus' care sheet that they sent me once I purchased my 9 baby ranchus (she threw in an extra baby as well so I now have 10)
    • Fancy Goldfish book by Erik Johnson and Richard Hess -- I'd strongly suggest checking this book out at the library to see if you think it might be useful to you enough to buy it. Also, here's a video overview of it: [video=youtube;E6h8K5S5LpI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6h8K5S5LpI[/video]
    • High Ranchu's blog:  
    • Goldfish Garage's blog:  
    • Plus, of course, other people with ranchus on Fishlore have been extremely helpful

Hopefully, this info will be of help. I know you already read the post I made on HappyKnitter's thread concerning ECR's water depth suggestions. From what I've seen of other ranchu breeder's tanks, they are all very large and have very low water levels. I've pretty much determined that my 54G corner tank that is 24" deep is likely NOT going to be a good home for my ranchus perhaps ever. But I'm still hopeful that once they've reached 3.5-4" in length, I'll be able to slowly start raising the level.

They currently are all being raised in a   (largest size I could find which with 6" of water works out to be just 14 gallons). But they are only in that container during the day. At night they sleep in a small 7G tub. Here's my water changing routine to achieve 200% water changes each day which is what they are used to coming from the breeder who has an automatic water changing system (man, would I love to see her setup at some point in the future -- someone else mentioned she goes through 1300G a day in order to achieve this -- YIKES!):

7am Full spectrum Lights on and I feed them NLS pellets in the 7G night time tank.
    8:20am Every other day or so - feed them small amount of frozen baby food peas (this is messy)
    8:40am After they have all hopefully pooped their breakfast, move them into the large 14G tub with two sponge filters. Feed them Baby Brine Shrimp (usually on the non-pea days). Clean out the night tub and prepare the water with Prime, leaving an air stone in there during the day.
    If I'm home, I'll feed them more pellets around noon so this happens Sat-Tues.
    5:30pm Frozen Bloodworms
    8pm Last meal which is usually pellets
    9pm After they have hopefully pooped their meals out, I move them back into the night time tub with one sponge filter and turn off the lights by 9:30pm. I clean out the larger tub, put in fresh Primed water and leave one sponge filter and air stone in there overnight.

Both of my tubs are kept at 6" as per the breeders suggestion and from what I've read elsewhere on how to develop ranchu fry's wen and tails. Currently, this is all taking place in my kitchen, which obviously is not ideal but it is the only place where counter space and water is easily accessible.

My ranchu fry are still in the BBR stage (BBR or KURROKO - black baby ranchu as opposed to the CBR - color baby ranchu stage). They are all a golden bronze coloring, so they are quite young at about 11 weeks currently. The full spectrum light source I hope will develop their colors nicely but probably nowhere near as well as direct sunlight would do. Keeping them outdoors isn't an option at my tiny townhouse location.

Currently, I don't have a heater in the tubs so the temps stay right around 73-77F room temp. I will likely need to add a heater to make sure it stays above 75F as per the breeder's instructions (75F-78F) once fall comes.

Hopefully this is helpful info for you.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  7. OP
    OP
    hollie1505

That's great information, thank you ever so much. I'm going to spend the evening going through those links and finding that book. Thanks for all your help guys.x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice