Water Lettuce getting blown underwater

Fishmanperson

Hello, I just got some water lettuce but it got blown underwater and made a huge mess. I don't know why it was because my filters are not strong. I have the same filters on another one of my tanks although I have frogbit in it and it does just fine. So I was just wondering if you guys have any tips on how to solve this because I want water lettuce in my tank because I know it will look so good.

BigManAquatics

Maybe some kind of baffling around the lettuce might help?

StarGirl

Hello, I just got some water lettuce but it got blown underwater and made a huge mess. I don't know why it was because my filters are not strong. I have the same filters on another one of my tanks although I have frogbit in it and it does just fine. So I was just wondering if you guys have any tips on how to solve this because I want water lettuce in my tank because I know it will look so good.
How high is your water level? That will help baffle the flow some. Are the 2 tanks the same size?

Fishmanperson

How high is your water level? That will help baffle the flow some. Are the 2 tanks the same size?
The one I put the water lettuce in is 60 gallons and the one's with frogbit is 30

StarGirl

The filter just must be stronger is all.

Fisch

You can fabricate a ring out of airline tubing, attach it to the glass with a little suction cup to prevent it to float where you don't want it to go, put the lettuce into the ring. This will give the lettuce time to get established.
I have an airline tubing parallel to my spraybar to keep the lettuce away from the stronger current. With the big root system they are pretty vulnerable.

Fishmanperson

Hello, I just go water lettuce for my 60 gallon aquarium but I have a pretty strong flow. The water lettuce moves around a lot and occasionally gets pushed under water by the filters but that happens rarely. So I was just wondering if it's healthy for the water lettuce to get moved around a lot or if that's bad for them.

Fisch

If you make a floating ring from airway tubing and station that ring in a slower moving part of the tank it will help to establish the water lettuce. Constant water on the leaves is not appreciated, though it is one of the tougher floaters around.

jtjgg

very minimal flow. mine died since i have strong surface agitation.

Joshaeus

Floaters in general are native to still habitats and do not appreciate vigorous water flow. I agree with Fisch about creating a ring to shelter the water lettuce...it also allows you to control where it grows so that it does not shade out all the other plants in the tank.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Fishmanperson
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
sfsamm
  • Question
Replies
Views