Water lettuce dying in shrimp tank

THamilton

Hi,
I got some water lettuce and placed it into my shrimp only tank but all of them have lost their long roots, only have very short roots now, are yellowing, and some leaves are turning black and falling off. I've corralled them with air tubing to minimize water movement. I haven't added any fertilizer since I have newly born shrimp fry.
In the same tank, I have Java moss and its growing fine. I have led lights on a regular 8 hr light cycle and the ammonia, nitrites and nitrates are 0.
Can anyone help my water lettuce?

richiep

How about putting some in a container of tank water and add some ferts to see if they start to pick up,
(just a thought)

Upvote 0

THamilton

Thanks for the idea richiep. Is there a fertilizer that works best for floating plants? Ive heard of Thrive C and Easy Green but heard the latter adds a lot of nitrates.

Upvote 0

RayClem

If you are adding fertilizer to a shrimp tank, be careful that it contains no more than a minute level of copper as that can be detrimental to inverterbrates. Some fertilizers like Thrive S are made especially for shrimp tanks.

Upvote 0

YellowGuppy

Thrive (just the regular version, not C or S) is also perfectly safe for a shrimp tank. I dose two pumps a week in my community tank and the shrimp and snails are doing awesome. Most floating plants do poorly without fertilizer in the water column; I lost all my dwarf water lettuce and most of my frogbit before I committed to a bottle of Thrive, and it's made all the difference.

Nitrate, in small quantities, isn't harmful for your stock, but it IS necessary for healthy plant growth for many species, especially faster growers. You don't have to be afraid of nitrate, just WAY too much nitrate. If you've got a liquid test kit, you can keep an eye on the numbers and see if it gets out of hand. Actually, you don't even need to buy the product to check it out - a bit of math and reading the guaranteed analysis of your desired fertilizer should give you an idea of many nitrates are being added.

Upvote 0

richiep

Although the thrive range are shrimp safe especially the latest one they are quite specific on their water changes when using so just make sure you follow the instructions to the letter.

Upvote 0

THamilton

Thanks for the very helpful advice Rayclem and Yellow Guppy. Richiep, good point ab having to change water more often with all the nitrates.
If I add Thrive to a shrimp tank, how big of a water change do you do and how often? And also do these fertilizers increase the TDS over 200?

Upvote 0

richiep

I do 15% weekly on all tanks, I dont use any fertiliser and never have, my tanks have Flora base pro substrate.
As for tds anything you add to a tsnk will raise your tds a tad but that should be of no concern, tds should be used only as a guide

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
wishuponafish
  • Question
Replies
Views
MoshJosh
Replies
Views