Water lettuce burned/curled edges

Cinabar

My water lettuce grow like weeds in my outdoor tub, but dies when I move them to my indoor tanks. The edges turn pale and curly, and the bottom leaves turn yellow then disintegrate. Roots are also being shed. Too much light maybe? I have lights on for ~12 hours a day.

91238ED8-2185-42ED-B438-4B3266BC29B3.jpeg

MacZ

Typical for nutrient deficiencies and when the parameters (including temp) are vastly different. My best guess is a deficiency.
Is the water very different?

Upvote 0

Cinabar

Typical for nutrient deficiencies and when the parameters (including temp) are vastly different. My best guess is a deficiency.
Is the water very different?
I don’t think so? Both tanks are filled with unaltered water from the tap, same for water changes. Indoor one stays at 80F and the outdoor one fluctuates wildly between 70 and 90F depending on the time of day. Do you think they can recover? I’ve debated leaving them alone but they usually lose all their roots within a week or two.

Upvote 0

MacZ

The temperature is already a good hint.
I'd definitely do a test for pH and Nitrates for both tanks. I had tanks runnig on the same tap having very different parameters. Does the outdoor tank get rainwater?

Upvote 0

TClare

It is strange as I experience more or less the opposite situation. I put some outside in a daphnia tub. As we are at high altitude here the temperature fluctuates quite dramatically, but is on average considerably cooler than my tanks that I keep at 26C. It can get close to freezing sometimes at night, but on a clear day can be in the high 20s. Outside the water lettuce barely survives, grows very slowly with much smaller leaves and roots and outer leaves dying off. In my indoor tanks it grows like a weed with much larger leaves and longer roots, and even flowers sometimes. Except in my biggest tank where it stays smaller with short roots, but still multiples quickly with no signs of deficiencies. I am not sure if the smaller size is due to the stronger light or higher flow rate in the big tank. 12 hours is quite a long time to have the lights on, mine are on 8 hours (7 for the big tank). But also what is kept in the tanks will influence the amount of nutrients available I guess.

Upvote 0

Cinabar

The temperature is already a good hint.
I'd definitely do a test for pH and Nitrates for both tanks. I had tanks runnig on the same tap having very different parameters. Does the outdoor tank get rainwater?
Very interesting results. We don't get rainwater where I live and there are no livestock in the outdoor tub. I occasionally throw in a pinch of fish food to feed the plants there. Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH are:

Indoor: 0 / 0 / 40 / 8.0

Outdoor: 1.0 / 0 / 0 / 7.6
It is strange as I experience more or less the opposite situation. I put some outside in a daphnia tub. As we are at high altitude here the temperature fluctuates quite dramatically, but is on average considerably cooler than my tanks that I keep at 26C. It can get close to freezing sometimes at night, but on a clear day can be in the high 20s. Outside the water lettuce barely survives, grows very slowly with much smaller leaves and roots and outer leaves dying off. In my indoor tanks it grows like a weed with much larger leaves and longer roots, and even flowers sometimes. Except in my biggest tank where it stays smaller with short roots, but still multiples quickly with no signs of deficiencies. I am not sure if the smaller size is due to the stronger light or higher flow rate in the big tank. 12 hours is quite a long time to have the lights on, mine are on 8 hours (7 for the big tank). But also what is kept in the tanks will influence the amount of nutrients available I guess.
That's so interesting. They get huge in my outdoor tub. They also produce flowers and I'm pulling out a gallon bucket's worth every week. I do live in a warmer climate if that makes a difference. The water can get quite hot during the day and cooler at night, but we never have temperatures close to freezing. It's odd though because my tanks are also unheated, but they stay at a consistently warm temperature... hmmmm.

Upvote 0

wishuponafish

In my case I have them growing like crazy in my 15 gal with 0 nitrates, no heater (73F), heavy plant competition for nutrients, and light bioload with a strong light very close to the surface of the water.

Then I move them to my heated (81F) 150 gal with ~20 nitrate, higher TDS, same ferts, less competition, and the same light a foot above the water surface and they burn a little around the edges and just multiply into millions of little ones instead of growing huge and flowering like they do in the other tank.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
AlyeskaGirl
  • Question
Replies
Views
richiep
  • Question
Replies
Views