Water keeps going cloudy!?

FishLuver

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Everytime I put a crayfish into my aquarium (the aquarium set up is only for him, no fish in it) the water slowly goes cloudy and then the crayfish dies?
Is there something I need to do with the water for a crayfish. i dont want this crayfish to die!
The water was perfect for weeks and crystal clear till I put him in, and now I notice also the water smells like dusty rocks?? The rocks were rinsed and been in the tank for a while now, I don't get it? And it looks like he wants to get out, swimming up to the top and everything....

I did a 50% water change and it still looks cloudy and smells like dusty rocks.
I tested the water and the pH is between 7.0 and 7.5, nitrites are 0, nitrates are below 20.

Please help!

Last edited:

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
How mant times has this happened?

This is in the 28 gallon tank?

FishLuver

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
How mant times has this happened?

This is in the 28 gallon tank?
Yes, this is the 28 gallon tank.
I had my betta in it for the last few weeks and it was crystal clear.

Just one other timethis happened, it got so cloudy over night and the crayfish died. This time around, the water was crystal clear for weeks until I put the crayfish in, suddenly the water went cloudy, so I did a 50% water change today, and already it is cloudy again. I don't get it??

FishLuver

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I put the crayfish in my main tank for now, but I don't him to stay there cause he'll eat the fish. I was thinking the fluval filter I have is no good? I did get it used (I put new media in it though). Maybe I should try a different filter?
I checked the water levels again and they're fine.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It sounds to me like a mini-cycle. I believe your 205 should be fine, once it catches up.

If you've only had a betta in the tank, I would suggest the beneficial bacteria colony is not large enough to cope with the cray's level of waste

The cloudiness could be ammonia and/or bacterial bloom. You've mentioned 0 nitrites, did you happen to measure ammonia?

Let us know if you have high ammonia readings.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thats really weird. The only thing that makes sense is what ryanr said.

What was the substrate? Since crays are aquatic bulldozers, could it be that whatever is creating the issue is coming from the substrate? Just a wild guess.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have read that cloudy water can be caused by cycle, that it's bacteria building up that doesn't yet have anything to "eat" it for lack of a better word at this late hour.

Some people also feel that having charcoal in the filter helps keep the water clear, can't hurt to try if it's not already in there.

Can you maybe add some media from your other tank to kick start the BB in the cray's tank?

-Lisa

FishLuver

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It sounds to me like a mini-cycle. I believe your 205 should be fine, once it catches up.

If you've only had a betta in the tank, I would suggest the beneficial bacteria colony is not large enough to cope with the cray's level of waste

The cloudiness could be ammonia and/or bacterial bloom. You've mentioned 0 nitrites, did you happen to measure ammonia?

Let us know if you have high ammonia readings.
My ammonia was always 0.

I actually never even thought that the 205 would probably take longer to cycle?! hmmmm That's an interesting thought.

When I started the tank, I actually used water from my existing tank to start it out and the next day is when it went cloudy and the cray died.

I actually went out and bought a different filter because I thought maybe something was wrong with the fluval, so I'm trying that out. Same thing, I used water from my existing tank (50%), but this time I used my existing tanks filter as well (it's one month old, nice and slimey). So I'm hoping this time it will work!

Thanks for all your help everyone!

FishLuver

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Just wanted to update everyone that my tank is looking good now that I made the change of filter. My levels seem fine and my cray looks happy. Water us crystal clear. I'm not sure what was the issue with that fluval filter, but it was used so I guess you never know!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom