Water Keep Getting Cloudy

Discussion in 'Cloudy Aquarium Water' started by Mstrlucky74, Apr 20, 2019.

1. Mstrlucky74New MemberMember

Hello and thanks. Have freshwater goldfish. Have fluval aquaclear filter and this is my media filter setup. I've had the new.filter and setup.for about 3omths now and have only changed the blue sponge pieces each time I do water change which is about every 2 weeks. Am I suppose to change those rocks out too? Not sure why it's getting cloudy so quick. Water test results are coming back fine. Thanks[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Dawn MicheleWell Known MemberMember

Hello. What size tank do you have and how many Goldfish? You should do 50% water changes every week. Goldfish are very messy. I use to have them. You shouldn't be replacing any of the filter media.

3. PheonixKingZWell Known MemberMember

Yes, goldfish need a lot of room, and are very messy!! You should not be replacing the filter media, even if the package says so!:)

4. Mstrlucky74New MemberMember

2 fish and 55 gallon...how often do I change the biomax.stones....they look very dirty..thx

Does my media setup look ok?

5. kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

Just swish all your media around in a bucket of tank water when you clean your filter. Most likely a bacterial bloom if it’s a white cloudy if it’s a green cloudy it’s probably an algae bloom.. never change the stones

6. PheonixKingZWell Known MemberMember

They may look dirty, but they contain, the nessisary, components of a heathy fish tank, @Feohw , is my personal favorite, when it comes to this matter!:)

7. FeohwWell Known MemberMember

Yeah, if you were to throw them out you would lose the beneficial bacteria that lives on and in them. Companies say to replace them every now and then, but I have yet to replace mine and they are fine. If mine are dirty I just swish them about in water change tank water

8. PheonixKingZWell Known MemberMember

Lol, @Feohw , how long have you had your filter cartridges in your tank!?:)

9. Dawn MicheleWell Known MemberMember

2 Goldfish in a 55 is good. Don't change the Biomax. Just swish it around in a bucket of tank water like @kallililly1973 said. Your set up looks fine. Post some picture's of your tank & Goldfish. :)

10. FeohwWell Known MemberMember

I don't actually have cartridges. Just sponges, filter floss, ceramic balls, rings and seachem matrix. The floss is the only thing I change regularly. The sponge only really gets replaced when it gets clogged or damaged beyond normal use.

11. PheonixKingZWell Known MemberMember

Lol, ok!! Yes, it says on my cartridge package, to “Replace every month”. That is so wrong! They claim “After a month, the cartridges start to loose their efficiency.” Yea, right!! image.jpg

12. Mstrlucky74New MemberMember

3 months

13. Mstrlucky74New MemberMember

I will..ty

14. Mstrlucky74New MemberMember

Ty everyone for the help/advice!

15. Dawn MicheleWell Known MemberMember

Yw. :)

16. PheonixKingZWell Known MemberMember

Your welcome!!:)