Water Issue In My Town!

InsanityShard

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So there's been a problem. Some metals I can't remember the name of and flouride has been added to the tap water, and the local fish expert has been getting many complaints over the last two weeks of people doing water changes and having all their fish die. I recently did a large one and nearly lost my swordtail. My big tank is a 60g tank. He reccomended only do small changes and use extra dechlorinator, but the problem is I don't have the means to pretreat a lot of water for my 60g tank. Should I do a 10g change once or twice a week? I can pretreat up to 4 gallons at a time with my two buckets I use for my 10g tank and cleaning the filters, so I could change the water slowly over the day and dechlorinate the water for an hour or two before adding. Would that be enough? I use Seachem Safe, but I also have Aquatopia Betta Safe.

Stoka

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Flouride use is common throughout the developed world. The vast majority of scientific studies show no effect on humans or animals. Most “heavy” (dangerous) metals are detoxified by Prime or it’s powdered equivalent Safe. Others can be safely removed from your water with activated charcoal or products such as Boyd’s Chemipure. Buy 3-4 5 gallon buckets and pretreat.

InsanityShard

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
What if I change 4 gallons every day until I get the buckets, and how long should I pretreat for? Would that help?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom