Water is too clean

1. terrynachos Member Member

New and learning the initial cycle of my tank. Been running it for 4+weeks and all is good my convicts lay eggs and all that fun stuff. So i am thinking great water is cycled and looks great. Since the start i do my weekly 10% water change and really keep an eye on the health of my fish. So today i decide to take a sample water into my local shop and see if its all good. Well they ask me right away if i change the water lots? I tell them just weekly 10 % and thats it i dont even really gravel vac or anything. So she says my water is too clean!?? ? Didnt see that one coming! :) so she says i have to let the bacteria build and yatta yatta all the stuff i think i know but what i dont get is why are my fish all happy and healthy? Also there were these white little buggers allllll over the glass? She named it and said its like a worm thingy from over feeding? So i just did my charcoal change and got a scrubber to clean the inside of the glass. Anyway. Do i wait 2 or 3 weeks this time before my water change?? Thanks everyone for all your help.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

75 gallon with 6 small -med sized cichlids

2. Micaela13 Well Known Member Member

Oh so they were bugs lol yea I know what those are. Did you use TSS? I don't remember. I'm trying to figure out why your levels haven't shot up.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

3. terrynachos Member Member

What is tss??

4. Kurty Member Member

5. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

Now that you have more than 3 posts to the open forum, please complete your Aquarium Profile Information. This Information will aid others with their responses. To access the Profile, click on Forum Actions in the bar close to the top of the screen. In the drop down box, click on Edit Profile. Be sure to hit SAVE when you are done.

Nothing beats freshwater for your fish and I recommend at least 30 to 50% weekly water changes.
    https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/...p-up-water-changes-your-fish.html#post1290981

It sounds like you may be also dealing with Planaria which is usually caused by over feeding:
    https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/...ease-help-id-these-tiny-critters-my-tank.html

Cut back on the feeding and be sure to vacuum the substrate if you are using it. Planaria can be difficult to get rid of but not impossible. They are not harmful unless they become over populated. Some fish may eat them.

I have moved your thread from General Discussion to Aquarium Water section of the forum.

Ken