Water is 8 pH, what to do?

Rammsteinfan

I have a new 20 long tank that I’m just about to start cycling once I receive my filter. I did my first water test and it looks like it is an 8 for pH. We have well water.
I don’t know what I should do to it. It doesn’t have any fish yet. I was planning on starting with neon tetras once the tank is fully cycled. I want to add some shrimp later on.
The tank at the moment only has gravel, a couple decorations, water conditioner, fresh water aquarium salt, and a heater.

Attachments

• D37ED915-4F85-4CE4-BF1E-F096DE2DA8EA.jpeg
    D37ED915-4F85-4CE4-BF1E-F096DE2DA8EA.jpeg
    240.2 KB · Views: 12

Blacksheep1

Hi ,

as you plan on keeping tetras I’d recommend some wood in the tank, it should help to lower your ph a little over time in a natural way ( before you add fish ) . You can also buy substrates that help with this such as flora base pro.
Can I ask why you have added salt to the aquarium?

WRWAquarium

Put fish in once cycled. that's what you should do.

I have a PH of 8.0 and have/kept the following:

Angelfish
BN plecs
Black Ruby barbs
Gourami
Boesemani rainbows
Rummy nose tetras
Peppered corys
Kribensis
Axolotol
WCMM

Many people and sources have a suggested PH range for fish but I think a stable PH with correct acclimating is more important. Most fish are tank bread now anyway so the PH is more for wild fish.

My angelfish spawned and had fry. My black Ruby barbs are scattering eggs and my rummy nose are doing just great. Those fish are all supposedly low PH.

ProudPapa

To save yourself a lot of frustration I'd recommend getting fish that will do well in your water parameters instead of trying to change them. Do you have your heart set on neon tetras? If not, there are many other options.

Black neon tetras are one of my favorite fish. While they may not be as flashy as the regular neons, they're still beautiful fish, and are much hardier. I have a group of them doing just fine in my 8.2 pH water. In my opinion they're mis-named, since the horizontal bands are deep navy blue and sky blue (at least in my tanks).

Ouse

I’d recommend some wood in the tank, it should help to lower your ph a little over time in a natural way
...unless the KH is above 1dKH.
fresh water aquarium salt
This doesn’t need to be added and shouldn’t be added at this time. I recommend you do a series of water changes to remove it.

If you really want to lower the pH, know your KH before anything.

Rammsteinfan

Thanks for the advice. I’ll get a KH test kit. I bought the master kit so far.
I’ve had a guppy tank a very long time ago and just thought I would switch it up. I ended up with so many that I had to find new homes for them.
I was thinking of neons along with some shrimp and then later on either a couple corys or loaches. I wanted to add a few tetras once my tank is cycled and then add shrimp a few weeks later.
I forgot to add that I have bought a bottle of Fluval to help with the cycling.

jpm995

If your tap water is ph 8.0 it's a never ending battle to try to change it. There's things to lower ph but every water change will try to bring it back up. Its not worth it. Many topicals' do fine at that ph. Ask your local shop what their tanks are, chances are their ph is the same as yours. Don't fight it, try the fish you want and see if they can adapt.

Rammsteinfan

Hi ,

as you plan on keeping tetras I’d recommend some wood in the tank, it should help to lower your ph a little over time in a natural way ( before you add fish ) . You can also buy substrates that help with this such as flora base pro.
Can I ask why you have added salt to the aquarium?
I had added the salt since different websites I was reading information on said to add it for new aquariums. I have since did a water change to remove the salt.

StarGirl

Thanks for the advice. I’ll get a KH test kit. I bought the master kit so far.
I’ve had a guppy tank a very long time ago and just thought I would switch it up. I ended up with so many that I had to find new homes for them.
I was thinking of neons along with some shrimp and then later on either a couple corys or loaches. I wanted to add a few tetras once my tank is cycled and then add shrimp a few weeks later.
I forgot to add that I have bought a bottle of Fluval to help with the cycling.
Cardinal Tetras look like bigger Neons and are hardier also. I have 8.0-8.2 also and keep them. I have Ember tetras, chili rasboras, Scarlet badis, BN pleco, SAE. Lots of others. Chances are your lfs water may be the same as yours. It seems everyone here from Michigan has high pH around 8.0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • Heat20
  • pH
Replies
Views
Heat20
  • Question
  • trinity28
  • pH
Replies
Views